UK Telephone Cable Wiring for France

I purchased an alarm autodialler on E-bay and want to connect it to a French Telephone point.  The telephone cable on the unit ends in a typical UK telephone connector.  I want to snip it off and add a French connector.  Can anyone please advise on the wiring and colours.

Alternatively advice on where to obtain an adaptor quickly and cheaply is welcome.  I have been unable to obtain one locally hence the attempt at modification.

Thanks.

Hi Jon,

Is the telephone line cord for your autodialler removable (at the autodialler end?)  If so you’ll probably be able to get it working by buying a replacement French telephone / modem line cord from a hypermarket.

If the line cord is hard wired into the autodialler, an adapter to convert the BT plug to FT would probably be better than chopping off the BT plug as the wires in the lead will be very thin and difficult to work with.

The neatest adapter I’ve seen advertised is (item AA-170):  http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalog/Telephone_Country_Adapters.html

I don't want to rain on your parade but are you sure it will work?  Uk and French dialtones are different and your autodialler may not recognise  the signals coming down the line to it (eg Line free, engaged etc) and therefore not perform, or can you alter some setting so it knows which country its in?  I say this because I tried a UK modem in France and it never worked because it would always report 'No Dialtone'

Pierre ZFP