Is this a spoof?

I have an email from (service at wanadoo.fr) (I have put in the At in place of the ampersand) which tells me in english to follow the instructions contained in the attached file or else my account will be terminated. The file looks pretty big and I am reluctant to open it as I am paranoid about having my bits fiddled with.  Is it likely to be genuine or am I right to be suspicious?  I cannot think of any reason why it should be terminated as I pay by DD.

weedon

weedon

[quote]I have an email from (service at wanadoo.fr) (I have put in the At in place of the ampersand) which tells me in english to follow the instructions contained in the attached file or else my account wil...[/quote]

I also received one of them, when I right clicked and checked properties it appeared to have been sent by somebody from Caen. just delete it from your PC, dont open it.

Regards   Mansel

Certainly phishing.

Mind you, I got a similar email purporting to come from Amazon asking me to update my payment details, and I ignored it, but it turned out to be genuine (I had ordered some time ago and by the time they were ready to ship the order the card had expired). In that case I was able to go to Amazon and check my account there, rather than follow the links. They also quoted a genuine order number.

We are getting the same problem but so say from tiscali - could be info, service, account or something else which looks like it is coming from your ISP. Ignore it! We are getting about 4-5 E mails a day. Waste of time trying to get Tiscali to sort out as they are the most appalling ISP!  - We did try opening one of the attachments first of all - but it woundn't open anway. Keep your anti-virus software up to date is the best advice.

We are receiving the same message daily  in the UK from demon - informing us we have violated our account. My husband (who is a web developer/programmer) has warned me not to open any of them - it is definitely a virus.

Kate

I have been getting them too and have been told to never open the attachments as they are full of viruses.  Weedon if you have Wanadoo and you get your emails on the site in "Messagerie" instead of Outlook Express, there is a heading over messages which says "traiter comme indésirable" and that's what I did with these messages and now it has quietened down.  Not long ago I was getting them every day.

Christine

Thanks to all the responses.  I have deleted the message and blocked the sender who was persistent to the extent they sent 2 others with different prefixes advising my emails were now blocked. I simply sent one to myself to see if it worked, which it did.  Hopefully I have seen the last of that particular one.  It comes to something when you have to send emails to yourself, I really must make the effort to get out more.

weedon

LOL Weedon! 

I'm dropping by this thread, because I've just had my first 3 of these things, allegedly from Tiscali, telling me my password has been updated, and if I didn't mean to do it, would I please open the attached file (of course!) and contact this email address........      All just plain text, no colours, no Tiscali heading, nothing.   Dans la poubelle, I think.