Outlook Express "server isnt responding" - HELP!`

Hi all, my dad has just got a new Dell PC with XP home edition OS.

Hes subscribed to Wanadoo and I cant set up the blooming Outlook Express to send/receive emails.  I can connect to the net OK but Outlook tells me "cannot find server" or maybe "server isnt responding, try in 90 seconds" - ive changed the server timeout thingy but it doesnt make any difference.  Ive checked all the elements of the account are entered correctly which I think it is (with my poor grasp of IT).

Anything jump out at anyone as to why this could be? Or does anyone know of a PC man to visit your homes in Dept 35?

Thanks.

Mandy

Did you install the Wanadoo CD (which used to set-up Outlook Express automatically) or set everything up manually.

Have you got the correct server names for the Wanadoo SMTP and POP3 servers ?

Have you done a “test connection” (I believe its available in Outlook Express) and if so are both SMTP and POP3 servers failing ?

Sorry, only questions no answers !

Ian

[quote]Did you install the Wanadoo CD (which used to set-up Outlook Express automatically) or set everything up manually.Have you got the correct server names for the Wanadoo SMTP and POP3 servers ?Have you ...[/quote]

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond:

1.  Yes, he did install the Wanadoo CD - much to my dismay. I had told him not to as I had heard this can cause problems, then a friend who knew a bit about IT came round and lo and behold installed the CD.

2.  Yes, using correct servers I believe as they were supplied by Wanadoo - pop.wanadoo.fr and smtp.wanadoo.fr, I think.

3.  Cant find the test connection on Outlook Express (I have one on my PC but it is Outlook, not Express).

Mandy

Do you have firewalls (e.g. Zone Alarm, Windoze Firewall, Norton Internet Security, etc.) as these may be blocking the communications to the servers ?

Do you have a Virus Checker that scans incoming and/or outgoing e-mails as these sometimes setup local dummy POP/SMTP servers. For example, some people have had trouble with AVG and Norton. Norton does not always stop scanning e-mails just because you disable the option to scan e-mails.

Are the POP2 and SMTP ports set correctly. Wanadoo actually use the defaults, but worth checking that they have not become changed somehow (POP3=110 and SMTP=25).

Ian

One thing to check is to see if the Log on using secure password authentication is ticked (in outlook, tools/accounts, click wanadoo account), untick this if it is, also is the outlook version you have come with MS Office, I have had a problem with this but at the minute can't remember what I did to sort it.

Lee

[quote]One thing to check is to see if the Log on using secure password authentication is ticked (in outlook, tools/accounts, click wanadoo account), untick this if it is, also is the outlook version you hav...[/quote]

Thanks Ill check that.  It has come with MS Works I am pretty sure. Dont think it has Office.

[quote]One thing to check is to see if the Log on using secure password authentication is ticked (in outlook, tools/accounts, click wanadoo account), untick this if it is, also is the outlook version you hav...[/quote]

Thanks Ill check that.  It has come with MS Works I am pretty sure. Dont think it has Office.