Total Novice Here...

.. sorry if this has been covered a million times, but we've been in Deux Sevres (79) for just over 2 weeks and have now got the standard 5/6 french channels (with the aid of a french t.v. ariel chap who popped out and plugged a box in for 25 euro's).  I'm getting serious withdrawal symptoms though - so what's the best way to get the BBC channels?

For all I know Brittany Spears could have divorced and married Prince William!  Don't let this travesty go any further - end my nightmare and advise now!

First step is to take a look at the FAQ's section under telephones/satellites.

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=264&MessageID=79165

Have a look at Will the Conqueror's article about TV in France,  then if anything isn't clear someone on this section will have a bash at answering.

It's a lot to take in at first but it all gradually will become clear.   And try and stick with some French TV - if your language skills are in need of brushing up then it is a good way of progressing,  particularly if you get the subtitles working.

You mention a box - as you live (I assume) somewhere around Niort I wonder if this is a TNT box (the transmitter at Maisonnay is transmitting DTT (digital TV)) or whether it's merely an aerial signal amplifier.

It was a simple ariel amplifier, which once plugged in, allowed us to pick up standard television in all the rooms with a connection point.  I'll take a look at the info. you've pointed me too - thanks.

To get BBC 1 and 2 but not ITV Ch 4 and 5

Your local Castorama,Brico,or TV shop will sell you a NUMERIC sattelite decoder and dish prices vary from 99 euros to 200 euros The simplest thing to do after that is to get your local tv man to put up the dish and tune it in.

Alternative is to have someone in the UK buy a sky digibox for you from Dixons,Comet or such like cost approx £150.Bring it over and again have your local TV man set it up

Probably will cost in region of 200 euros to set it up   

• 2 weeks later...

Ok we went out and got the TPS satellite 'thingy' with dish, etc. because they said it would pick up BBC 1, BBC 2, etc. but I guess they figured BBC Prime = BBC 1 and BBC World = BBC 2 as we're limited to these.  It's ok if you want to watch 'To The Manor Born' EVERY DAY!!! but no thanks.

Have now heard that we need to get a double head??? on the dish and a second (decoder I guess) (it was in French and it's slipped the OH's mind at the moment) which will pick up the Astra satellite and ''beaucoup de canals etrange''

I can already see the cancellation letter and the subscription to sky..