dear all

can anyone explain in words of one syllable and step by step, for a complete idiot how to get rid of this error message.  i have tried restoring to a previous date but this is not responding.

honestly i do mean very very simple,easy to follow advice, as if i have no knowledge whatsoever!

many thanks

so sorry i should have said.  i'm using Windows XP pro.  on opening up a small window appears saying 'windows installer'. then another small window opens headed: TrayApp, then on the next line 'Please wait while Windows configures the TrayApp'.  Then another small window opens it's headed TrayApp.  below that is a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark in it.  next to this it says Error 1606 could not access network location.  on the next line follows:

%USERPROFILE%\SendTo\

and below that 2 buttons offering either retry or cancel.

if i press cancel repeatedly and quickly, after a while these windows disappear but the problem recurs each time i start up.

Mona

These error messages are associated with installation problems, are you trying to install something or is your computer?

Windows XP support shows this:

Q: I encountered the following error when running the J2SE installer:

Error 1606: Could not access network location file MSI/CAB and still fail after immediate retry.

What does it mean?

A: This problem occurs when the server is too busy or when the network is too congested to serve the file. Please retry by running the installer again.

If you have just installed something it means that your PC cannot access the site it needs to complete the installation.

If you are not installing anything like windows,  javascript   or internet explorer, then you have an application error and the easiest solution is to reload windows XP off your CD, don't uninstall it or you will have real problems,  just reload it and you should not lose any data.

[quote]Could also be that the machine was once part of a local network and the "shared" program not now available?[/quote]

Yes you are right George, I had thought that but then assumed, perhaps wrongly that Mona's PC was stand alone, but if it has been set up as part of a network and separated from it, that would explain the problem also.

dear all

many thanks for your responses.  it's a stand alone laptop.  the error appeared after i tried to download the itunes programme but it never completed.  i tried to see if there was anything showing that i could delete but found nothing.

i fear that someone is going to suggest that i go into the register but i don't have the nerve or experience not to mess up big time and feel i've exhausted what limited skills i have.

any thoughts about whether loading just the windows XP home edition would solve this?

once again many thanks

Right, go into, if you can, Start, control panel:  add/remove programmes.  Look at the list and if your roque programme is there,  delete it.  If you cannot access this far, try reloading XP as I suggested before.......  DO NOT uninstall XP or you will have real problems,  just reload it and you should not lose any data..  Good Luck

hallo ron

thank for sticking with this, it must have felt like drawing teeth since i didn't give all the relevant info in one go..  will it matter if i only reload windows xp home edition and not XP pro?

Mona

The crucial thing is to get rid of the half program you may have loaded, have you located anything in your software listing?

Another thought, if you have XP then you have system restore, go to Start: My Computer, click on search and enter system restore, this will give you access to a restore wizard, use the Wizard to restore to a date well before you tried to load that program.  That should then restore your systenm to what it was

As far as XP is concerned, I am not sure of the  differences between XP home and pro, but if you need what is on Pro, that is what you should use, if XP Home meets your requirements then try that, but try system restore first, you do not lose data, just program changes.

Hope you don't mind me butting in again, but a further thought

If you can't see the program to uninstall it, before going down the route of overwriting XP, it might be better to retry downloading iTunes and installing it again to see if the error goes away and then uninstall it if not required.

Certainly, I would not try to overwrite XP Pro with Home, they are different and if I remember correctly Windows will require the same, registered serial number during the overwrite process.

dear all

many thanks for all the advice and suggestions.  i did check the add/remove programmes but there was no sign of itunes.  i also tried system restore, several times both before making the original posting and plea for idiot language as that had exhausted my repertoire.  system restore is unable to perform so god knows what itunes has done.  i will try to download itunes again as suggested.

for complex reasons involving the sudden death of a close relative [who used to set up and sort out everything to do with my computer including probs]  i cannot access my original windows XP pro hence my question about whether the home edition would be sufficient

again thanks to all. 

Mona
I hope the reinstall of iTunes sorts the problem for you.

From what you say and if I were in your position, while the system is still in reasonable working order, I would start to build a backup routine for all the data, including emails, address books etc.  Make a note of all programs you would want to keep for the future and make sure you have all of the software available for any future reinstall.  Also try to remember to create a restore point before making any system changes or installing new software.

I wish you luck, but with the above in place you can then feel secure in the knowledge that if you had to start all over again with XP Home or whatever, you would only lose the time it takes to rebuild.

hallo george

many thanks for your advice. i tried the itunes download and although it all came through this time, sadly it has not resolved the problem but also has not exacerbated it which is a relief.

i have also checked the error log for the laptop and this shows  [under the plug and play manager]   'the device 'Generic_Combo_Drive' 9ENE\CB710\Generic_Combo_Drive ) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.  this suggests that i've inadvertently done something else.  would you know if this is something i can rectify simply or am i back to reinstall? or could i go to the relevant website and download the drive instructions if i can find out which company is involved?

again my thanks to you and to everyone else who has tried to help

Mona

It is possible this is related ie Is the date in the log somewhere around that time?  Was the software installed from an external CD drive or have any alterations been made since to the hardware.  This particular error shown from the log should not now be causing a problem, but it could be that the installation may not have completed, though I thought you said you installed from a download, implying directly?

My next thought would be to try to uninstall iTunes to see if that error finally goes away.  I'm sure you will appreciate, very difficult to diagnose at a distance, you may find something in the Startup folder, but after this, unless anyone else has any options, afraid to say digging around in the registry may be the only answer.  Would go down the backup route as per previous email before you do much more though and try to find someone locally prepared to help.

Best wishes (and if you find a solution let us know)

hallo george [and everyone who must by now be bored rigid with this b****y error message]

i now think the 2 things are related and to save everyone further misery i shall attempt to find a local, trustworthy and knowledgeable IT person to help me sort it out.  honestly why do they have to be so complicated -  it should be as simple to resolve as changing a lightbulb.

should i ever get it sorted i will of course let you know

once again everyone thank you for trying to guide me through this