I definitely do not recommend dial-up Wanadoo.    I set up with them just over a month ago and they have been so slow throughout this entire period.  Their booster system is also a joke.  Without it the connection is dead slow and stop.  With it, you do not rise much above dead slow.   On many occasions it cannot handle various web sites. They have the cheek to charge you a supplement for this service.  Even their own web page takes ages to load.  If you are thinking of an ISP, my advice is to cross them off the list.  I have had enough and am just about to cut them loose.

Before you slag off Wanadoo, have you thought that it may be your phone line that is the problem.

I had dial up with Wanadoo without any problems and now have migrated to ADSL.  Wandoo was not slow compared to Free for example, you should be getting about 38 Kps per sec I think.  Get FT to test your phone line you may find whichever ISP you use, you have the same problem

The Wanadoo booster which was FREE to subscribers, only accelerates site opening, it does not download pictures or videos, in fact you have to turn it off on some downloads, but it was better than nothing

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply.  I am fairly computer literate, so am aware that there could be other possible problems.  I made this comment as a considered one.  The main yardstick I have to go by is the fact that I also have a Tiscali France connection which I can immediately switch to for comparison.  This is quite fast compared to Wanadoo.  So this tends to eliminate a telephone line problem.  I also have various layers of virus and spyware etc protection.  I computer housekeep regularly etc. So I am not just 'shooting from the hip'. The booster is not provided free, there is a monthly charge.  It seems to create additional problems, as it opts out of various sites.  At the moment it is allegedly operating with an improved speed ratio of 3.37, but I truly doubt it. 

Jon

It is possible that if you have two lots of software for ISP connections that one is affecting the other.  When you change to Tiscali and vice versa do you just change your network connections or have you loaded the full wanadoo/tiscali software?.  The Wanadoo package and home page is a bit memory earting for dial up with a lot of animations and pop ups, how does wanadoo/tiscali fare with google for example in terms of speed?

I've found Wanadoo unusually slow for the past three or four weeks, as has a friend who is about 10km from me - his got so bad he rang them and they did say they were having "perturbations" at present. We've been with them for about six years, generally OK but there are the odd periods when the connection is slow. We also have Libertysurf (now Tiscali) as a backup but it's generally a bit slower than Wanadoo, so I seldom use it, only when we run out of Wanadoo time or when Wanadoo is "perturbed"! (I don't have the packages installed, I set both up manually, and I don't use the homepages.)

Jo

Thank you both for your further comments on this speed problem.  Like Jo I chose not to install either the Tiscali or Wanadoo packages, instead I did a manual set up.  Jo, you are possibly correct in your view that it is a temporary 'perturbation', because this am for the first time in a month, the connection was much faster, with no problems accessing any web sites.  I got exasperated when the speed problem persisted for over a month.  I thought this was somewhat long term for a temporary problem, as I have never experienced this before.  I only hope that the faster speeds I experienced today will continue.  It is extremely frustrating when you have opted for a 25 hour package and you watch the clock ticking whilst pages struggle to open.  I feel like that guy in the ad who ends up smashing up his computer and office due to the time his system is taking to load a file.

Like yourself, when I started with Wanadoo dial-up I did find it slow. However, I had to change my modem a couple of times and found that with a different modem the speed was very different. Different modems seemed to hold the line open better and worse (one modem I took back as it was so useless).

I actually ended up calling out France Telecom to sort out the line and after their visit things worked much faster. Certainly in my case it was the line/modem. Once these were sorted it was pretty much the same as I used to get with dial-up ISPs in the UK (BT, Tiscalli, etc.)

I have noticed (now on ADSL) that their e-mail servers can be slower at responding at certain times of day (e.g. 8:30am to 9:30am)

Ian