Recording from Sky

Hi everybody

Is there anyone out there who can help me with recording programs from Sky onto a Video player.

I have the boxes all connected together as per instruction manuals but all I record is a lot of snow.

Our little combo TV with video player incorporated records Sky programmes fine.

I couldnt make it work in the UK and I still cant make it work over here !

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

John & Sue (50)

How are you connecting them together? With Scarts, Individual leads or (the one I'm guessing) the aerial wire. If it is the last one, the Sky box actually turn the picture and sound back into TV signals as (recieved by the aerial). So, as the Sky box "transmits" the signal to the video, both boxes have to tuned to the same frequency. If they are not, then you will get the screen you describe.

What you (probably) need to do is,

Turn the Sky box to a channel that has the "Sky Gubbings" on it (so that you can easiliy identify the channel later).

Now switch the TV to the Video Channel (check it's there by looking at something prerecorded). Stop the video and you should get she "snow" - don't touch the TV again.

Now tune the "Sky Channel" on the Video until you get a picture of the "known" Sky gubbins on the TV. Save that channel.

However, if you are using Scarts or wires, I haven't got the faintest.

We have the Sky box connected via a Scart lead to the video recorder, then another Scart lead from the video recorder to the TV. To record a Sky programme we just make sure the video recorder is set to the 'AV' channel, which means it will record the Scart signal rather than anything from the aerial. Note that you can't record one satellite programme while watching another (unless you have a Sky+ box).