[quote]Using $ky in France is completely illegal. May you rot in the bowels of hell for even suggesting it. G'Day! R Murdoch.[/quote]

Using Sky in France is not illegal, but you are in breach of your commercial contract with Sky.

Never heard of them sueing anyone for this but they will deactivate the card if you make it obvious to them that you are not in the UK or Eire.

[quote]Hi. When we move to France, we will be taking all our sky equipment and our ON digital box. Can anyone tell me what i have to do to set it up AND will it work . Thanks nich the wood[/quote]

Not a very helpful reply from Rupert Murdoch but made me laugh.  Sky can be received throughout France but in some areas (the further you get from the centre of the footprint) you will need a larger dish eg 80 or 100cms.  These are readily available in France.  They cost around 40€ and come compete with an analogue receiver box but the part that is useful is the dish and the universal LNB.

It is tricky to line the dish up but can be done if you are patient or have plenty of good luck.  Local firms will do it for you but of course charge.  My firm installed dishes for sat systems in the UK so I have a flash alignment meter but they are a bit expensive for a one off.

As for the reception of Sky in France being illegal well no Gendarme is going to put you in jail nor are you going to face extradition to appear in the Magistrates court in the UK.  The contractural position is that Sky is in breach of contract if it permits its transmissions to be viewed outside of the UK and the republic of Ireland.  It can stop you viewing if it discovers that your box is located in France by simply turning it off though of course it cannot stop you viewing the unencrypted channels eg BBC1.

Hope that helps.

CHRIS

There's a lot of information on this in the FAQs section of this forum.

The BBC will also tell you that for copyright and licensing reasons you are not permitted to view its TV programmes outside Britain, but of course that does not stop people being able to receive them.

As far as your ON digital box is concerned, you may or may not be able to view TNT (the French Freeview equivalent) through it. That depends on whether the service is available from your local transmitters (see http://tnt.niv2.com/) as well as the age of your box. Newer UK Freeview boxes will certainly work with TNT, though some older ones may not, due to a slight difference in transmissions. If yours is branded ON Digital it is probably one of the older types.

[quote]Using Sky in France is not illegal, but you are in breach of your commercial contract with Sky. Never heard of them sueing anyone for this but they will deactivate the card if you make it obvious to ...[/quote]

To be particularly pedantic (amn't I always?), removing a $ky card from the address to which it is registered is an offence under the 1968 theft act, as the card (contract, expired or otherwise) never belongs to you & $ky's contract states this. There are criminal elements to the Copyright laws (in the UK & France) - ask any trader in Barrowlands...

But who the hell cares? Not me, I'm just a pedant (or is that peder.....).

[quote]To be particularly pedantic (amn't I always?), removing a $ky card from the address to which it is registered is an offence under the 1968 theft act, as the card (contract, expired or otherwise) never...[/quote]

Now that's an interesting one that I had missed, Nick.  Theft Act indeed.  I am not a legal expert but doesn't the Theft Act rely on an intention to "permanently deny the owner use of the item", in this case a card?  I cannot for one moment imagine that any prosecution would stand any chance of success and that is probably the reason why there has never been a prosecution (according to my friend who is high up in (the) Sky).

Phew pleased to know I can sleep peacefully tonight.

CHRIS

[quote]Now that's an interesting one that I had missed, Nick. Theft Act indeed. I am not a legal expert but doesn't the Theft Act rely on an intention to "permanently deny the owner use of the item", in th...[/quote]

Indeed it does. Which is what would happen (or rather the intention would be) if one took it abroad...

I watch $ky every night, then sleep soundly....