WHY CAN'T OUTLOOK EXPRESS MAKE CONTACT WITH WANADOO FOR ME ?

My server is Wanadoo.  I have been using Outlook Express to monitor incoming emails.  I have just taken out another years subscription with Norton, doing it  over the web.  I can connect to Wanadoo.  I am able to use fully the Web.  I am able to bring up Outlook Express on my screen but when I try to access my e-mails Outlook express tells me; POP3 server wanadoo not responding.  So at the moment am unable to use Outlook Express to send or receive Email on my behalf.  I am able, however to use wanadoo for my e-mails but would prefer to be back with Outlook Express as everything is in English.   ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

regards Les Favets

Look at "Tools" followed by "E-Mail Accounts" and select the "View or change existing email account" and then select "Change". I am asuming you only have one email account running through Outlook, if not select the wanadoo account before clisking on "Change". You should have the following information, for simoplicty I am going to call you fred bloggs.

User Information

Your Name = Fred Bloggs

Your Email Address = [email protected]

Logon Information

User Name = fred.bloggs

Pasword = your mailbox password (NOT YOUR INTERNET PASSWORD)

Server Information

Incoming mail server (POP3) = pop.wanadoo.fr

Outgoing mail server (SMTP) = smtp.wanadoo.fr

Hop this works for you, I use Outlook where you use Outlook Express but they are simular. Let us know how you get on. You can use the "Test Account Settings" Button to see if all is OK.

The problem could well be something to do with the Norton upgrade you have just activated. There are some known issues which can cause just this problem.

Take a look at the Symantec support pages and I'm sure you will find the answer:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/npf/npf_2005_info_solve.html

I have been having similar problems over the last two weeks, using MSOutlook 2000 and my lineone.net (now part of Tiscali) email account.  In my case I can (usually) receive email but sending has become almost impossible. As I use email for almost all my business communications this is a pain, to put it mildly!

If you are getting an error number of 0x800cc19 or similar after failed communication, as far as I have been able to find out this is caused by a conflict with any anti-virus software which does a check on outgoing mail. I use AVG Free but Norton and similar are the same. The suggestion is that you disable this facility (which won't affect your own protection).  However, it doesn't seem to have resolved the problem for me, and I will have to wait until I get back to the UK next week and can use my broadband connection to research the problem more efficiently.  Another suggetsion is to go into your "account" details in Outlook Express and increase the timeouts. Anyway, you may be able to find some more detailed suggestions if you Google "SMTP" and that error number together.

Good luck....

Steve

Looking at the other comments for your problem, disable the Windows Firewall (I assume you are using Win98 or Win XP SP2) and use only the Norton Firewall. This avoids the conflict between the Virus Protection Programme and Windows.

Also with Norton 2005 you sometimes get an error message for "Internet Worm Protection" error, and this needs to be re-enabled from within the programme ,but if you visit the Symantec website from the error link, the problem is highlighted and can be overcome.

Aitch

[quote]Look at "Tools" followed by "E-Mail Accounts" and select the "View or change existing email account" and then select "Change". I am asuming you only have one email account running through Outlook, if ...[/quote]

I did what you suggested but still end up with Wanadoo as my server and incoming and outgoing emails.  Yous said to place wanadoo in both modes.  Where do I place Outlook express?

Reghards Les Favets