Which operator/service for a new installation?

We're moving from the UK to Normandy at the end of November. I need to arrange telephone and internet access, and am wondering which supplier(s) we should go with.

I would like ADSL (doesn't have to be mega fast but reasonably so), and we are also likely to be making quite a few calls to the UK too. I was wondering if there are suppliers who will do a phone package which includes special rates on overseas calls as well as ADSL at a good price? Or do I just have to treat the two as entirely separate? (By the way, I can't test our line to see whether it's degroupee or not as I don;t know the number yet - but according to the map shown on degrouptest.com, I think we should be in a zone degroupee.

Also, I was wondering about how we get France Telecom to sort out the line for us. On their site it says that you have to go into an agence with proof of address before they'll give you a line. I was wondering if I'd be able to contact them in advance of our move and get them to set the line up starting from the date we move? (I already have a French bank account so no problem there.)

Finally, if you are in a zone degroupee, do you always still have to pay the line rental to France Telecom, or are there suppliers who take over the line and do the whole lot?

Thanks,

Rob

In my experience, for a phone and internet package Wanadoo are the most expensive provider followed by AOL, Neuf are better value but a nightmare to deal with due to billing issues.

The majority of providers operate headline rates to tempt you into joining but then add on costs to bring the package rate up to a higher level.

For my use, calls inside France and to UK using a modem router and wifi connections along with a download speed which is only restricted by the quality of the line, www.free.fr is the lowest cost provider I can find.

For the telephone line I would suggest calling France Telecom and asking them. If they need to run a cable to your house then the costs might me higher. If there is already a cable there then they should be able to activate it without visiting. You can call their English speaking service from the UK on +33 800 364 775 (hours are close to office hours, full details http://www.francetelecom.fr/en/tools/others/contactus.html).

You will always get loads of opinions as to which ISP is best, etc. and often it may come down to a balance between service and cost. Depending on how rural you are you have have a limited choice anyway. See the thread http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=290&MessageID=241295 for info on how to check who can offer you what service

The cheapest telephone carrier I have found for calls to the UK for off-peak times is TeleRabis. You done need accounts, etc., just dial their prefix code (0811 65 81 8 81 for the UK and most other countries – see http://www.telerabais.com/rates.php) and then the 0044 ….. number). It is currently 1.4 ct per minute and is charged to your normal FT account at that rate. No prepayment, etc. Peak rate calls are a bit more. However, you can try, start using, stop using, etc. as you want as you have absolutely no setup, no account, nothing.

Ian

Thanks Deimos - I've had a look at the telerabais website and it certainly looks almost too good to be true! We'll definitely be using this.

Does anyone know of a really cheap way to call France from the UK? (My wife's parents would be especially glad if there is.)

Thanks,

Rob

[quote]Thanks Deimos - I've had a look at the telerabais website and it certainly looks almost too good to be true! We'll definitely be using this.Does anyone know of a really cheap way to call France from ...[/quote]

Depends on who will be calling (really). Are you looking for something where you can give out a number to “all and sundry” (my number in France is …..) and they can all call you cheaply or are you looking for something where specific people can set-up accounts and use them to call you cheaply ?

If its specific individuals, can they use a computer to call from (and thus use free PC to PC calls) ?

Are they with BT or a cable company ?

What about switching to a different carrier and if acceptable, is CPS OK (Carrier pre-selection – all calls routed through the new carrier) ?

Telerabis (from France) does work well and reliably. Slight negatives are that you pay for the call from when you connect to their system and not from when the person you are calling answers. You thus pay for busy and no answer calls. For me, these are not a big issue compared to the call rates so it does not bother me (also, you are paying by the second rather than by the minute).

Regards

Ian