BRITISH TV CHANNELS IN FRANCE

Hi All

Apologies because I am sure question I want to ask has been answere befored ...    probably so many years ago that I cant find it and am the only person in not so blissful ignorance !

We have house in Limousin, intend moving early April.    We dont have Sky in UK and have no particular wish to have it (and need I say pay for it !);   cant imagine living with just French TV however, having seen a flavour of it on holidays etc.   Is there any way we can get BBC/ITV - I know such things as Free view are available in UK, and have heard that free serve can be obtained in France (long distance lorry driver friend assures me he has a friend who receives - hmm) - not sure how this would work however.

Any replies would really be appreciated - sorry to bore you - will try to think of a scintillating question which has never been asked for next try !!

If you look at other posts in this section, you will find a considerable amount of information on this.

You can currently get all the BBC channels, and the ITV1,2,3&4, but not Channel 4 & 5 on a digital satellite receiver (and appropriate sized dish), with no subscription or card.

The Bricos here sell digital kits (numerique) for between 80 - 150

Euros which comprise a dish, complete with LNB and receiver. As long as

you have slightly-east-of-south, line-of-sight you should be able to

find Astra 2 at 28E. With this you will be able to receive BBC1, BBC2,

BBC3, BBC4,  News24, ITV, ITV2, ITV3 BBC kids channels, Sky News,

plus a whole stack of rubbishy free things which you probably won't

ever watch!

p

Hi Londoneye

You need a digital FTA receiver (Numerique), a  Dish and mounting, an  lnb,  cable, two "F" connectors, which as the previous posters have said you can buy as a kit in one of the sheds and I would not disagree with them if all you want is cheap and very basic ...... if you want french TV or other English / Spanish / italien / etc channels then you will need to spend a little more money but IMO get a lot more.....re: channels 4 / 5 you will only get these with a sly box ...... and then you will NOT get french TV

If you want ant more info just ask or PM me

Bonne Chance

Hi Martin

Must give Will 10/10 for effort but it does need up dating ..... the phrase "French System " I feel is wrong when applied to either satellite system or satellites themselves.. ..... I feel very confusing for a newbie ....... Better to say French language on Hotbird with a little English ........... English language on Astra 2D ........ IMO....... I do NOT like sly he has ripped off the UK long enough ....... I know where I would like to put one of his digibox's ......... as you know Martin there is plenty FTA on a FTA digital receiver (numerique) and if one knows one can get lots of other channels FTA or NOT  and there are lots of other satellites not all with English language but hey do we need it ............. some of the programs are worth watching even if only for 20 minutes.

To give you some idea ....................................I am going to have 11 ...... yes eleven "New Years" before I get to the UK ...... starting in Japan!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts at 3pm UK time ...... most with have a decent firework display ....... some jolly music ......... and a bit of fun

The set-up need not cost a fortune and the dish does not need to be higher than two meters in MOST cases.

If you need anymore info just ask or PM me.

Happy New Year to you all !!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Fridgeman"]

To give you some idea

....................................I am going to have 11 ...... yes

eleven "New Years" before I get to the UK ...... starting in

Japan!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts at 3pm UK time ...... most with have a decent firework display ....... some jolly music ......... and a bit of fun

The set-up need not cost a fortune and the dish does not need to be higher than two meters in MOST cases.

If you need anymore info just ask or PM me.

Happy New Year to you all !!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Fridgeman - I take it you're motorized ???

paul

@ Fridgeman,  well Will's summary makes a good starting point for those new to the subject and saves a lot of general explanation;  but of course you are right things do move on gradually.

I'm interested to know whether you can get the Africa/Europe beam on PAS 10 at 68.5 deg E.   I ask because some friends of ours in 24 who lived in S Africa for many years would love to watch the offerings there.  I believe it's on the very edge of possibility due to the fact it's virtually on the horizon as viewed from the UK or 24,  and all sorts of unexpected effects come into play as a result.  Do you get it?

I think PAS probably needs a 1.5 m dish minimum.  Wasn't sure what size yours is.

I only asked about it because our friends would like SABC but don't want to shell out for that size of dish unless there's a certainty that it will work (and I don't relish setting it up much!).

Hi Martin........ Happy New Year

Don't envy you setting up a 1.5 dish but I think you are right that my dish is too small (80 cm) for this sat ......... I get lots of sats / channels with my set up that I have not worried about the sats on the extremities ....... I'll try and see if I can find out anymore info for you ....... there was a South African channel on 28 e but that disappeared a while back ....... things are changing on a regular basis at the moment lots of murmurs as always ........ from what I understand Canal+ has bought TPS so I guess prices will go up ...........some channels are going to use MPEG 4 .......so 2006 should be interesting ....... don't misunderstand me Martin I'm NO expert just a hobby to me but I do keep my ear to the dish as they say

Yes Paul Motorised 80 cm Dish ...... may go for something Bigger not sure yet