computer with TV on it... what to do to get french TV

thanks 4 info that may b multi standard[quote user="Anton Redman"]To quote the ancient helpdesk advice Read The Manual.  Haupauge cards now seem to be true multistandard NTSC, PAL and SECAM so your laptop may well  have a multi standrad card[/quote]

I'm beginning to sound like a cracked record on this subject,  but the colour system (whilst important) is secondary (for the purposes of off air reception) to the transmission standard.

Unless your card is "automatic" in some way,  you need to tell it to look for system L transmissions with SECAM colour for use in France.   In the UK it was using system I with PAL colour.

Get the system right and the rest should follow,  should follow,  should follow,  should follow......

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]

I'm beginning to sound like a cracked record on this subject,  but the colour system (whilst important) is secondary (for the purposes of off air reception) to the transmission standard.

Unless your card is "automatic" in some way,  you need to tell it to look for system L transmissions with SECAM colour for use in France.   In the UK it was using system I with PAL colour.

Get the system right and the rest should follow,  should follow,  should follow,  should follow......

[/quote]

I do not understand the above. When TV cards used dip switches or pins the menu path was normally a choice between PAL and SECAM followed by some method of setting the sound frequency. The last one I looked at simply searched through all the possiblities before puttting them all on the menu. ( no space for card in current portable so I did not buy it.

On our two Thomson TVs changing the country to France causes SECAM options to be searched first followed by PAL in all forms. Setting  the Country to Germany or UK searches PAL first but it then searches SECAM. The only mission critical part of use is that you have to set both country and language to French to replay French SECAM videos in colour and with sound.  

Our cheap and chearful 8 year old Bluesky portable TV simply searches everything when it has been has been unplugged and coped with odd visits to UK and Austria. There is nowhere on the set up menu to chose country or standard it simply searches.

Anton - it's a question (mainly) of the video polarity (and hence all the sync/frame pulses) that is different with system L (also the sound is AM but that's not so bad to sort out)

When you select "SECAM France" on your TV I daresay it simply assumes you want system L and acts accordingly,  and that when you choose PAL it scans the bands on the basis of systems B/G/H/I and fine tunes the sound accordingly when it finds a carrier.   After all the manufacturers don't want to be blinding the customer with science!

But I cannot over-emphasise the fact that explaining away the differences between France and UK TV as simply a problem of SECAM v PAL is sloppy nomenclature (*) and is likely to lead to problems;  specifically because there are plenty of SECAM sets around on the market which will NOT work on system L and therefore are useless in France if you want to watch French TV direct from an aerial.   They'd be fine if you fed them a SECAM signal via Scart but simply cannot lock onto the French UHF (and VHF) TV systems because the sync pulses are the wrong way up.

Try it with a UK b/w only set if you can find one;  the most you will get is a negative image,  but with a bar down the middle of the picture and the left half of the scene on the right and the right on the left,  and that's if you're lucky;  it'll be very unstable and rolling horizontally all over the place.

You could of course argue that I am nitpicking, but it IS the basis science and I feel it important to distinguish the transmission system from the colour system in this context to avoid people bringing over UK sets with Secam compatible Scarts that then won't work on system L via the aerial

And your Bluesky TV was - I'll be bound - purchased in France and will by definition work on L/SECAM and most likely on everything else without being guided because many French people near their foreign borders put up aerials for cross-frontier (mainly B/G Pal) reception.   This  same universality does not apply to all UK sets,  although Philips in this respect are good.

(*) - sorry I realise that sounds rather rude,  particularly as the manufacturers are guilty of the same simplified thinking.  Please don't take it as a personal dig,  it isn't meant to be!

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]Anton,  Which market are these non-L SECAM sets designed for (just so as I know what/where to avoid!) ?  paul  [/quote]

SECAM D,K seems to limited to former Soviet Block  see list below

Asa far as I am aware the only risks with Europe purchased TVs or Video recorders manufactured in last 10 years  are :

France/ Main Land Western Europe - Purchase of a Set Which is PAL B/G  only compatiable rather than PAL I.  Read the manual and trust nobody in the shop under 60 ( bit like being a hippy in reverse).

UK - No SECAM tuning atall otherwise OK . B & O were offering a board for SECAM at £ 1000 for a PAL £ 2900 set five years ago. Provided you checked out Argos and John Lewis you would find all you needed for Europe and Africa provided you shop carefully. Sainsbury's also have full standrad sets from time to time 

True Worldstandard TVs - Last time I tried Tottenham Court Road,about 7 years ago, they were only worthwhile if oyu needed NTSC, PAL and SECAM with all the options one box.   Otherwise they cost about 3 times as much as a single standard set. 

Site below agrees with my experiences but it is for instance 25 years since I was in Rwanda and at that time they were SECAM only. Yemen was I thought split standard between Russian SECAM and PAL but watching TV was not high on my list of priorities when I was there

http://www.videouniversity.com/standard.htm