Picture help with XP please.

I have just got a new computer with XP instead of ME. On the old system when people sent me pics I was able to right click, open properties and get the dpi, which I need (as the pics are of Quimper pottery and are for publication).

Where can I check the dpi in this system or is there some little gizmo I can download?

Thanks in advance

I don't know af any way of checking dpi using right-click on XP, but you could always use the right-click, save picture as menu, and then open the picture in Paint.  Then if you open the Image menu and select Attributes you can see the resolution in dpi.

If you have the picture as a file, right click on it, select

properties, then there are two tabs at the top “General” and “Summary”.  Select the “Summary” tab and that should

give you further info (including dpi if the information is available in the image

file).

If you are within your e-mail package then probably depends

on the e-mail package.  However, if you

open it (double click on an attachment), depending on the type of file it will

open in the most appropriate viewer. 

Then its something like File (or maybe Tools), Properties – which should

give info about dpi (though again this depends on the image type and the

package Windoze decides to open it in). 

As an example, in Microsoft Photo Editor, there is a “File”, then “Properties”

menu option that gives info about the dpi.

Ian

You have to download the picture first, but if you set the Windows Explorer window to 'Affichage' 'Mosaiques' (in my French XP) - 'View' 'Tiles' in English version - you will get the picture type and the pixel size displayed. Example screen grab below.

http://www.vienormande.com/images/ferryscreen.jpg

I too work with images for print and find the actual pixel size much more informative than dpi.

TOH always asks me for pics that are 300dpi at least, what makes it slightly more difficult is that next issue we have an article on how to photograph your collection, which TOH (he does the artwork) and I are putting together, most of the members are about as technical as me - in other words, not very !

So I have to also find a way for the members to work out whether their pic will work in print, of course many pics look great on the computer screen but just do not transfer.....ho hum[*-)]