Tiscali Dialup Help

My friends PC has gone bang and I am lending him a spare laptop. He uses Tiscali and the problem I have is that he does not have the dial up number for his modem connexion, he is NOT on ADSL just a normal modem. So I wondered if anybody might know the phone number he requires for France.

Thanks.

When I first joined Tiscali on subscription, I was advised wrongly to use the number 085 001 5555. Believing I had unlimited access, I soon ran up an account with FT of over 95 Euros, on top of the monthly charge.

After much tooing and frooing, I was advised that the number I should be dialling was086 009 5557. A very expensive mistake.!

Lautrec

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - moving to France in 2 weeks and need info on setting up internet. I will be taking a laptop which uses tiscali.co.uk for internet in uk, and i have a phone line with france telecom in france. Can somebody talk me thru the procedure to set it up for internet use in france either in uk or in france. I am not very computer literate and would also possibly find it difficult/time consuming following set up instructions on free cd's from french supermarket. 

Peter

You should read this http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/465509/ShowPost.aspx or this http://www.frenchentree.com/france-satellite-tv-internet-pcs-telecoms/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=7430 which contains much the same information.

It is far better to use your Windows set-up wizard than to use a CD for companies like Tiscali (and particularly wanadoo). The CDs can mess up other settings on your computer. You can get the username, password, dialup number and e-mail server names by registering on line - do this from Britain if you don't have a dialup in France. In the case of tiscali, just remember user name is in the format [email protected] rather than just user.

You can pick a supplier such as Tiscali (Now known as Alice in France) and sign up over the net while you are still in the UK.

You can either do Pay as You Go, or a set number of hours. It all depends on your usage and how  often you expect to be in France.

They sign up process takes you through each ofthe  steps .

That way it will be ready for you as soon as you arrive in France.

If you want Broadband its a bit more complicated but the process can still be started from the UK.

Hi, thanks for the help "but"

I used the frenchentre version, and ended up logging on to alice.fr (having searched for tiscali.fr, that's what came up!).

So I obtained relevent info re logins etc, but there is no mention of "pop server address" or "smtp server address" is this critical when I attempt to carry on the instructions offline?

3 days to travelling to France!

Picasso

[quote user="Picasso"]So I obtained relevent info re logins etc, but there is no mention of "pop server address" or "smtp server address" is this critical when I attempt to carry on the instructions offline?Picasso[/quote]

I use Alice dial-up.

My set-up shows the POP3 server as pop.tiscali.fr and the SMTP server as mail.tiscali.fr