How can I get ^ over letters?

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but the wholoe point of having a French keyboard is that in most cases you don't have to do awkward operations like holding down Alt while keying in numbers. If you have an AZERT keyboard, they way to get a circumflex (^) over any letter is simply to key the circumflex first (nothing will appear on the screen), then key the letter. So to get an "ê", simply key "^" followed by "e".

Rob

[quote user="Rob G"]Sorry if I'm missing something here, but the wholoe point of having a French keyboard is that in most cases you don't have to do awkward operations like holding down Alt while keying in numbers. If you have an AZERT keyboard, they way to get a circumflex (^) over any letter is simply to key the circumflex first (nothing will appear on the screen), then key the letter. So to get an "ê", simply key "^" followed by "e".

Rob
[/quote]

Hi Rob

I have an azert keyboard but I have to press Alt Gr to utilise the ^ .  If I dont use the ALT Gr key , I just get ç . I have tried your suggestion but it didn't work, any other ideas please?

Hi Chris,

Thanks also, just tried to see if your method would work here, which it didn't, will go an try it in a windows document and report back later.

I feel such a dope now, [:$][:$]

I have only just spotted the ^ next to the P and I can now get this - ê exactly as Rob stated.

I had been trying to use the ^  that is next to the ç underneath the 9. Quite what that is there for, I don't know!

While we are on the subject of symbols,  what is thhis § and when should it be used?

It's perhaps worth mentioning the using ALT sequences for accented characters will only work with a full keyboard with a true number-pad.  Laptops usually use a smaller keyboard, and only have the number keys that are below the function keys.

You've started something Viva.  Always use a French keyboard, but never bother to study all the little signs.  Don't know what is the ^ next to the ç,  nor the § (isn't it something to do with paragraph?)

What also is this for ¤

and this # (paragraph again?)

under the 6 (upper case) I have two slashy dots, which when typed come out like this |

I thought I had a euro sign somewhere, but now I can't find it.  Does anyone have one, and if so, where?   [8-)]

And what's this one µ ?

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Thanks Viva, I knew I had it somewhere!  E for euro...

I seem to remember that the # means number.  Number 7 would be # 7 (I think...).

€ (ALT GR works for me Sue).  For me the { is under 4 (upper case).

[/quote]

Whoops! Senior moment there - I am so used to Alt Gr then 4 on an English keyboard, didn't think about using E, no wonder I couldn't find the d-mn key, I've been using euros spelt out for ages!!

Thanks for that

Sue

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

The pilcrow (¶) is commonly used to mark paragraphs in America. Here we use the section sign (§) to mark sections of paragraphs or articles.
In Europe § is often used as a paragraph sign.

[/quote]

I recognise the pilcrow but have never seen the section sign. You live and learn.

Just this little beauty ¤ to identify now;  which I think is actually same as the one Christine posted.