UK Freephone number

FT allow 0845 (lo-call) and 0870 (I think it's that: the national rate number, anyway) HOWEVER, these are both subject to the individual client who is picking up a proportion of the additional charge. They can elect not to receive calls from abroad if they so wish, so there is no hard and fast rule.

Free, and Neuf certainly don't allow 0845's to be made and probably 0870's also. And I think Tele2 don't either.

["Le numero vous avez demander n'est pas attribuee. Le numero vous avez demander n'est pas attribuee. Le numero vous avez demander n'est pas attribuee"  ! ]

p

Most UK 0800 numbers will work only in UK.

I have found that 0845 and 0870 numbers can be made through both France Telecom and OneTel  (though the latter may not accept all of them, particularly 0845s). They are charged by OneTel as UK mobile numbers, which isn't too bad with their rates. FT lists them as standard international calls, again not too expensive.

And I found out the other day that the Inland Revenue have recently closed down their standard proper real number (or changed it) and now have a policy of only publishing an 0845 number. I had to call them the other day and complained about this. They said it was an “edict from on high” but they did not know the reason why (I tried the 01622 … number I had previously used and it had been closed down !!).

However, when I did eventually get put through to the complaints people, gave them a piece of my mind, they immediately offered to call me back. Apparently they should offer a call back (but in my case the first person I spoke to did not) – so you just have to pay to listen to their music for a bit.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]And I found out the other day that the Inland Revenue have recently closed down their standard proper real number (or changed it) and now have a policy of only publishing an 0845 number. I had to call them the other day and complained about this. They said it was an “edict from on high” but they did not know the reason why (I tried the 01622 … number I had previously used and it had been closed down !!).

However, when I did eventually get put through to the complaints people, gave them a piece of my mind, they immediately offered to call me back. Apparently they should offer a call back (but in my case the first person I spoke to did not) – so you just have to pay to listen to their music for a bit.

Ian[/quote]

However if you need to speak to IR Notingham - the people who deal with double-taxation for ex-pats - their number is 0044-151 210 2222

p.