Skype alternative

I know several of you use Skype for your long distance calls (either PC to PC or PC to landline), however I've not been 100% satisfied with the sound quality, even though I have a good USB phone hooked up.

So, when I saw that Yahoo Messenger 7.0 with Voice was available, I decided to try it.  I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality.  Same deal as Skype: free calls PC to PC (each one only compatible with its own software, unfortunately) and a pre-paid fee for calling landlines.  However, for me, calling to the U.S., the charges are less: only 1 cent a minute.

I called my 82-year-old mother in California yesterday.  She has sometimes complained about the quality even when I'm using regular phone service.  This sounded as clear as if I'd called her from L.A.  I tried with another couple of friends and it was just as good.  So far, for a little over an hour of calling, I've spent 32 cents!

You can download it at: http://messenger.yahoo.com

PG

Skype used to be excellent sound quality. They do not actually use their own codecs but purchased some. However, I agree and a lot of people are commenting that others (Yahoo and GoogleTalk in particular) are better.

I think what has happened is that Skype was good and has stayed the same whereas the others have continued striving to improve and have now rather left Skype behind.

Personally I like the idea of GoogleTalk for PC to PC voice as they seem very committed to Open Standards and encourage 3rd party clients. For their Instant Messaging they have adopted the Jabber standard but have had to extend this to support voice. They have presented their extensions as a proposal to extend the standard, their extensions are published and available for others to adopt and they have written a number of application libraries to allow software developers to include such functionality in their software (which are available for free).

Yahoo’s call rates are also lower than Skype’s (though that said so is pretty well everybody’s – and I expect France Telecom to be undercutting Skype pretty soon !!!).

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"] – and I expect France Telecom to be undercutting Skype pretty soon !!!).

Ian[/quote]

We had (and I emphasize HAD) a great deal with FT: 100% unlimited calling to France/Europe and North America for 79€ per month. Unfortunately, we followed our accountant's advice to change our phone service to our company name, and that lost the unlimited forfait.  We changed it back, but they're not currently offering it, although it's scheduled to return.

Still, now that I've tried Yahoo, I may stick with it. I'll check out Google Voice as well.

Thanks, Ian.

PG

I use Voip which are ok too although my mum and dad maintain that they

can't hear me too well and I can tell that there is a time delay

also.  I'll put up with it though as the calls are free (to most

Europe countries, USA and Australia)

[quote user="Dotty0"]

I sadly don't have XP as we are still on Windows 98.  This means we are not able to have Skype.  Are there any alternatives we could download given our computer status.

Many thanks

Dotty

[/quote]

You should check both Google and Yahoo and see if they're compatible, even if Skype isn't.

PG

Whilst I like GoogleTalk, note that (unless its started recently) it is only the free computer to computer voice links. No option to call out to a normal telephone. GoogleTalk architecture would probably require Windoze XP

Ian

I use the Instant Messenger part but not the voice. I’m afraid I avoid organisations who want you to take a load of their stuff. AIM/AOL is terrible like that. Took me days to uninstall everything you were obliged to install with their client. The AIM/AOL stuff caused ad-ware and spy-ware alerts to go off and there is a load of stuff that is automatically always installed that has nothing to do with AIM/AOL (e.g. Wetherbug).

Yahoo may be different – but I do not use the Yahoo client but a different 3rd party multi-protocol client (i.e. one application handles MSN, Yahoo, AIM/AOL, Jabber/GoogleTalk, Skype, etc., except I do use the GoogleTalk client as well)

Ian

[quote user="Dotty0"]

Thanks for the info, had a quick look at Yahoo, they wantme to download everything, home page, tool bar amongst other stuff.  Does anyone here actually use this Yahoo talk service.

Dotty

[/quote]

Dotty, I use the voice and think the sound quality is terrific.  When I loaded it, I chose "custom" and just unchecked all the stuff I didn't want.  No problems.

PG

Trouble is I did download it last night and I haven't got a headset yet to check it out.  I should have thought of that first I guess.  Any suggestions of where and what type I should buy.  I think Hyper U had some on offer a while back?

Dotty

I bought a USB phone online.  I think the sound quality of a USB device is better than a headset that connects through the headset port. However, it's a question of what you want to spend and how much you plan on using it.  I don't really like having something over my head (it messes up the hair!!), so I'd rather have a "normal" telephone.  I would see what's on offer at the local hypermarche, but also do an online search, or see if someone like Pearl or Surcouf has something that appeals to you.

PG

• 2 weeks later...
Hello PossumGirl,

Unfurtunatly I will have to try and get my money back from Yahoo as it will not connect to any number in the UK or let me talk to my Son in Egypt where as with SKYPE I have no problems, just using  standard speakers and microphone  or a standard headset with mike. 

[quote user="Malcpreston"]Hello PossumGirl,

Unfurtunatly I will have to try and get my money back from Yahoo as it will not connect to any number in the UK or let me talk to my Son in Egypt where as with SKYPE I have no problems, just using  standard speakers and microphone  or a standard headset with mike. 

[/quote]

Have you written them to ask for help?  I wonder why it won't let you call?  It's supposed to be international.

PG

I used to use skype, but mainly for calls to landlines - ok so there are occasional sound quality problems, especially early evening which I assumed wwas because of high demand.

Howvere, a colleague of mine introduced me to a similar system which allows free (yes free calls to landlines (there is a limit - which I haven't reached yet - after which they charge a nominal amount)) - I've need trying it for the last week and can confirm that the only charge I've had is for a call to a UK mobile which was 9.5p a minute.  You need to sign up and pay over 10 pounds to get unlimited calls (they are limited to 1 minute without paying the 10 pounds) (and it looks like you have to pay 10 pounds every 3 months - but that's not bad to make free calls is it?)

see www.voipcheap.co.uk