Free to air channel without John Motson.

I know the red button does not work in France allowing you to choose various options for changing the commentaries etc on BBC sport. But is it possible to find the alternative by choosing a different channel? And if so does anyone know the channel numbers?

ian

[quote user="Ian 56"]

I know the red button does not work in France allowing you to choose various options for changing the commentaries etc on BBC sport. But is it possible to find the alternative by choosing a different channel? And if so does anyone know the channel numbers?

ian

[/quote]

It doesn't? What doesn't? Mine does....

Who is John Motson?

The red interactive button does not work with my digibox which is French. There was a posting about this in Nov 2004 by Ron Avery which I quote and which I have found to be correct:

"You cannot access BBC interactive or ITV interactive in the same way on  French box as on a Sky box by the red button, you can however get the broadcasts, they show up as streams BBC stream 1, 2 etc.  When there is an interactive broadcast you can also get the multiscreen but you have to select the right stream ( channel)  to watch a particular screen, you cannot access it from the multiscreen, its not anything as easy as a SKy box but it is possible. I have not yet found a way to access the BBC i  text service on a French box."

John Motson is a commentator who makes grown men weep.

ian

[quote user="Ian 56"]

The red interactive button does not work with my digibox which is French. There was a posting about this in Nov 2004 by Ron Avery which I quote and which I have found to be correct:

"You cannot access BBC interactive or ITV interactive in the same way on  French box as on a Sky box by the red button, you can however get the broadcasts, they show up as streams BBC stream 1, 2 etc.  When there is an interactive broadcast you can also get the multiscreen but you have to select the right stream ( channel)  to watch a particular screen, you cannot access it from the multiscreen, its not anything as easy as a SKy box but it is possible. I have not yet found a way to access the BBC i  text service on a French box."

John Motson is a commentator who makes grown men weep.

ian

[/quote]

Small matter of the difference between a Sky box & a French box - which you did not make at all clear until this posting. so I stand by my comment.

The "other" channels are not broadcast as seperate channels (not that any of them are, as such). So, get a Sky box.

And I know who John Motson is. I was trying to be funny. Obviously lost on some.

Buying a second hand Sky Digibox doesn't put money into RM's pocket. You don't need to take out a subscription to use a Sky digibox. Take a look on ebay(uk) and you'll see plenty for sale which usually go reasonably cheap these days. The Panasonic (TU-DSB31 or DSB40) boxes are probably the best buy. You don't need a card unless you want to watch Ch4 &5, but you can often get boxes complete with a card on ebay too, but expect to pay a little more.

On the other hand,  you could just tune your digibox into BBC5-Live  connected to another TV and then watch the footie on French TV with the sound down.

Eslier,

I've seen references in the past about how you cant get Ch 4 & 5 without a card, forgive my question, but, as a non UK resident, are Ch 4 & 5 worth having, what sort of programmes are shown? I am totally ignorant about what is what on UK TV, other than its in English!!!!!!

Regards

[quote user="Ian 56"]

Thanks for the advice Nick, another joke? I am averse to putting any money into Rupert Murdoch's pockets so I will continue with my French box and turn the sound off.

ian

[/quote]

I dont pay any money to Rupert Murdoch and my red button works.

Also, are you saying that Nicks advice is a joke or do you mean about lining RM's pockets?

Actually you can find the BBCi channels using a French digital satellite receiver.  Have a look at

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

where you'll find all the tuning co-ordinates, then read the manual that came with the receiver to find out about adding transponders and searching for channels.

Patrick