Moving to France from South Africa

Howzit, Hallo, Molo, Sawubona, Thobela, Dumela, Lotsha, Ndi matseloni

I’m new to this forum, although I’ve been reading it for quite a while. I’m South African, currently still living in SA. My boyfriend is French, and he lives in South of France, in a small village called Pezenas, not too far from Montpellier. I will be moving to France next year (2008) hopefully on a permanent basis. I’m currently taking French lessons at the local alliance francaise here in Pretoria to prepare for my migration. I’m a beginner.

I currently have a very decent job that pays me a good salary. I earn in the region of R340K per annum. I do not have any children, I’m 28 years old by the way. My biggest concern about moving to France is job prospects, especially in South of France as I’m not too sure there are that many International companies there compared to a more cosmopolitan area such as Paris. My boyfriend is not too keen to move away from the sea to Paris, so it seems as though we will be settling in the South.

I’ve also read here that getting a visa and sorting out the paper work is a nightmare. In your experience, would it actually be more easier for me to get a work permit if my boyfriend and I were actually married? We didn’t want to get married just to simplify this process, we want to do so for the right reasons.

Do I need to secure employment first before I can apply for a work permit or does it work the other way round? How much time should I allow for this process? I actually prefer to get all of this sorted out while I continue to live in SA, and will only move once I’ve secured employment and all the papers are sorted. Is this something possible? Any advice? Has anyone been in a similar situation? I welcome any thoughts.

Thank you.

Thank you for both of your responses.My educational background – I have a Bachelor of Science degree measuring in Computer Science and Physics (honours). I also have a postgraduate degree in Business Administration. I have 5 years working experience in market research as well as engineering management consulting. I consulted mainly to mining houses that are involved in the mineral extraction and downstream beneficiation of various commodities such as platinum, gold, iron and steel, etc. This is a big market in SA as the country is rich in mineral deposits. I don’t suppose there is a big commodity market in France, I have never known France to have a lucrative mining and metals industry. I’m not at all interested in pursuing Computer Science as a career. I would much rather prefer to switch to something business administration related, but I have no idea what sorts of jobs to target in this area in France.

[quote user="Rand"]

I have never known France to have a lucrative mining and metals industry. 

[/quote]

Rand ..................

Just as an aside, there used to be a biggish coalmining industry just to the NE of Montpellier (to the NW of Ales, up in to the Cevennes), but it's all gone now.  A museum or two - that's it.

The problem for you is your (lack of) language skills.  If you were fluent, or at least 'more than competent', then with your qualifications, I'd recommend that you blitz the Paris-based corporates and see what dropped out.  You'd get 95% pushback, but you never know, one of them might just nibble.  As it is, with your admitted lack of fluency, you'd fall at the 1st hurdle - you'd need it down here, or for that matter, anywhere in France.

Have you been here?  Pezenas is a nice town.  Montpellier is a good sized city with plenty of commercial opportunities.

My instinctive reaction is that you need to spend up to a year here doing a just-job (anything, almost) in order to hone your language skills and render yourself employable.  That last sentence would appeal to any business and your partner could help in expressing that in French to a would-be employer.  During that time, you could be researching the job market for job opportunities, particularly the corporates as above.  Keep your sights high, lest you find yourself 'waitressing' for the rest of your best years.  

Sorry, I can't help re work permits etc.  Others will know more hopefully, or if you search on those words, then you may well get something.

Just re-read your last post.   Any Companies down here working with or trying to expand their SA market?   Obvious isn't it?  There must be one or two - throw yourself on them!  (Oh and by the way, if they think that they might want to employ you, they'll fix the legalities.) Get himself to do some local research for you.

Best of luck.

Ian  

• 2 weeks later...

Dumela Mma Rand

Good luck Kiddo, French lifestyle is very much like RSA you'll love it. Good wine, good sunshine & plenty of opportunities for the obligatory braai. Your Afrikaans will stand you in good stead - it has helped my French skill dramatically.

Veels geluk en "bonne chance"

Postie

Getting a work permit... is very very difficult. An overwhelming majority of the companies will not do so. If you did get married... that changes things and gives you the right to work without  a work permit. But do you want to get married for a work permit alone?

Alternatively a work permit can only be sponsored post a CDI contract. Making the equivalent of what you're making in SA is possible but difficult. You have a degree in Computers... hone your skills on hot technologies and go free lance contracting. Money is good, travel is brutal. But you do need work authroisation either a Work Permit (neigh impossible without native level language skills or the ability to turn base metal to gold) or via marraige. No one said it was easy.

Now getting married isnt easy either... you need your birth certificate notarised and submitted to the Marie via the French Embassy. From personal experience I can tell you they certainly wont make the process any easier. Budget a year for the embassy to endorse your certificate... it took me 1.5 years but then I am Indian. :)

It might actually be easier to move to say the US. Evaluate why you actually want to move to France. Relationships do die. I personally dont think the move to France was the wisest thing I have done... but then that is me.

Good luck either way..

As a non EU citizen, to obtain a work/residence permit in France you have to be sponsored by a prospective French employer who has to demonstrate they have been unable to find an alternative French or EU national qualified for the job. In fact as I am sure you are aware, an SA citizen needs a visa just to visit France on holiday and even that process is bureacratic.

I would suggest that you obtain advice from a French immigration lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Afy"]

personally dont think the move to France was the wisest thing I have done... but then that is me.

Good luck either way..

[/quote]

Afy, you must have a great relationship to tolerate what appears to be mildly better that hell? based on your comment in general [Www]

[quote user="Collywobble"]

Afy, you must have a great relationship to tolerate what appears to be mildly better that hell? based on your comment in general [Www]
[/quote]

Afy hasn't had the best of times since he came to France. I sometimes wonder that he's still standing, but pleased to see he is.

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="Collywobble"]

[/quote]

Afy hasn't had the best of times since he came to France. I sometimes wonder that he's still standing, but pleased to see he is.

[/quote]

Sometimes I surprise my self... but the deck of cards is falling. I quit my job today... couldnt take the harassment any more. And in true French fashion... they have ignored the resignation both written and email... other than a photocopied version signed by HR saying that they have recieved it...

Ah well... time to start packing I guess

Technically I have a 3 month notice period... but they "informed" me that they would let me go at the end of the month.... without even bothering with such pleasantries as speaking with me. Kind of really makes you feel very appreciated after all the weekends you have worked all the 15-16 hr days staying away from home et al....  I could just forward some interesting emails to the labor department...but screw'em.

I have other fish to fry....

[quote user="Afy"]

I could just forward some interesting emails to the labor department...but screw'em.

I have other fish to fry....

[/quote]

Yeah, good idea. If you get onto the revenge spiral it eats you up.  And gets really frustrsting when it doesnt have the desired effect [:)]

Good luck.

cheers