outlook express

For the sake of my sanity yet alone his. Could someone please help me to help my hubbie. He has a new computor. He can get his hotmail email, but not his wanadoo fr. It keeps telling him there is an error;

I'm not sure who will go mad first if he doesn't rectify this. PLEASE any ideas.

Hello grumpy old man I hope you read this too. LM

Hi Mooky, 

You can access “Hotmail” and other webmail type email accounts easily from any PC – this is one of the benefits of webmail. 

However, if you have bought a new PC and use Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express to access an email account, then you will need to set up that account on your new PC. 

Do you still have your old PC?  If yes, power it up and open Outlook Express.  Click on Tools (drop down menu) > Accounts > Mail.  Click on the account you want to set up on your new PC and then click on Properties.  You will need to refer to these settings when setting up OE on your new PC. 

Open “Outlook Express” on your new PC.  You should see a screen with sections entitled Email / Newsgroups / Contacts.  In the Email section there is an option Set up a mail account – click on it. 

If when OE opens you don’t see the above screen, click on Tools from the drop down menu, then Accounts. 

Either way, select the option to Create a new internet mail account.  Follow the prompts to enter the various information referring to how your old PC was configured. 

If you don’t have access to the old PC, most of the set up information is fairly obvious.  When it comes to incoming and outgoing servers, this will be determined by your ISP, but will be in the format of (eg) pop.wanadoo.co.uk / smtp.wanadoo.co.uk – if you’re using Wanadoo France, it will probably be pop.wanadoo.fr / smtp.wanadoo.fr (maybe someone can confirm?) 

Once you’ve set up the email account as above, you should be able to use your account on your new PC. 

Hope this helps!

[quote user="mooky"]

For the sake of my sanity yet alone his. Could someone please help me to help my hubbie. He has a new computor. He can get his hotmail email, but not his wanadoo fr. It keeps telling him there is an error;

I'm not sure who will go mad first if he doesn't rectify this. PLEASE any ideas.

Hello grumpy old man I hope you read this too. LM

[/quote]

If you're still having problems (don't have the old computer to check the settings, etc.) post again and we'll try to walk you through the process.

All the other answers are great but in the mean time if he needs to access mail on his wanadoo account acces the internet, go to www.mail2web.com and enter his address and password, this will bring up all his current mail which he can reply to, forward or anything he wishes, short term answer.

[quote user="Ecossais"]If you’re using Wanadoo France, it will probably be pop.wanadoo.fr / smtp.wanadoo.fr (maybe someone can confirm?) [/quote]

Confirmed.  They'll need their login name and password as well, as provided by Wanadoo.

All morning he was trying to get  emails. He started up his old computor and got them off there. His computor was a Imac english;

He can get everything on the new one; internet, hotmail, but no outlook express. He has the icon for it but cannot get email . Please help me to help him, thank you.

Thank you

Mooky,

Can you give us a bit more information to go on?

Have you / your husband already “set up” your email address on the new PC – ie, entered user name, password, incoming / outgoing mail server details etc as mentioned above?

What actually happens when you double click on the Outlook Express icon?

Hi Mooky,

From the error message you are describing, I think something to do with your email address is not set up exactly the same on your new PC as it is on your old PC.

I suggest you open Outlook Express on both machines (they don’t have to be connected to the internet) and then click on:

Tools > Accounts… > (Select the Mail tab) > Click on the email account > Properties.

Carefully go through the General / Servers / Connection / Security / Advanced tabs and make sure ALL the settings on your new PC are 100% the same as on your old PC.  Note you will not be able to read your password (in the Servers tab) – remember this is case sensitive, is it typed correctly on your new PC?

Hopefully you will find that something is different - I cannot think of any other reason for you not being able to access the email account with your new PC.

PC’s are great when they are working OK – Good luck!

Mooky, on my French Wanadoo, on the Wanadoo page on the bar at the top I can click on "Messages" to get the email, without Outlook Express.  But without opening the Wanadoo page, I also have a box with Web, Messagerie, Le Messager.  If I click on Messagerie it opens up Outlook Express which then loads the emails from where I have been able to access them from the Wanadoo page.

I have never quite understood it all between the two... [8-)]

[quote user="mooky"]

All morning he was trying to get  emails. He started up his old computor and got them off there. His computor was a Imac english;

He can get everything on the new one; internet, hotmail, but no outlook express. He has the icon for it but cannot get email . Please help me to help him, thank you.

Thank you

[/quote]

Mooky, do you mean you can't even open Outlook Express?   It may be you've got the icon on your toolbar or desktop but it is not pointing to the correct file location on your new PC.  Try going to Start, Program Files and opening Outlook directly from the list of files there.

Phil

Thank you for answering. He gets a blank outlook express page, but says something like pop.wanadoo not authiencated. He won't let me touch his computor or I would have a go. Last night he put both his computors on (this is mine, in my house). Even did what someone has kindly said. Go to properties, but then lost because his Mac doesn't seem to have a drop down bar.

You have all been so kind. I have now lost my patience with him. After all there is a great computor repair shop in Melle. He bought the computer in Geant Niort, a Hewlett Packard. Don't know what else to do. Thank you

He has tried all your ideas. It just doesn't work. Understandbly he is upset and fed up with trying;

Has anyone bought one of these 699euro packages, do theirs work. Thank you again for all your help. He is now in a right state. I shall try to get someone in to do it for him; Hubbie is a wis kid at getting things to work, but computors. Non.  You have all been very kind.

Mooky,

Did your husband manage to get his Outlook Express email problem sorted out?

If not - I don’t think it can be anything unique to the Hewlett-Packard PC you have bought.  You say that it’s your husband’s email account – do you have your own email account that you use Outlook Express to connect to, maybe on another PC?  If you do, try setting up that email account on your husband’s PC, to see if it works.  Alternatively, do you have a friend locally who could try setting up their email account details on your husband’s PC, just to see if it works.  It is easily removed afterwards, so their privacy would not be compromised.

If another email account works OK, then it will prove (I think!) that the problem lies with one of the settings for his email account that has been copied across from his old PC.

I’ve just noticed that you mention that his old computer was a Mac and that he couldn’t get the drop down menu (to get to the “Tools” > “Accounts” menu?) – Does anyone know if Outlook Express works differently on a Mac as I have never used a Mac?

If you still have no success then I think your best course of action would be to enlist the help of a local “expert” or someone who “knows about PCs”.

Mooky,

Yesterday I was fiddling with the Outlook Express settings for my Wanadoo/Orange e-mail account (don't ask why, it's a long but uninteresting story) and discovered that the new settings in the links quoted in some of the earlier posts don't work for me either (I can't use Port 587 for SMTP), so had to go back to my old ones.

If your husband has not yet solved his problem, but if he's calmed down enough to try again, why don't you post (or PM me) with the exact setting he's using (apart from his password or other strictly private info) and maybe we can figure out exactly what's happening.

Oh, and by the way, I'm using an HP laptop.  Oops, just realized that I don't seem to have PMs enabled.