Mac and Live Box set up

I've been using Windoze forever (except for my original CPM KayPro back in the dark ages) and can usually figure out any issues relating to the various OS.  However, I'm trying to help a newly arrived friend set up his Mac with a live box.

He's using OS X (most recent version) and it's a brand new lap top.  We got the wi-fi connection to the Live Box set up with no problem, however when I use Safari to get to the Live Box connection screen and put in his User Name and Password, we seem to be unable to validate the information for the connection to the internet to be acutualized.

Telecom insists that his ADSL connection is live.  However the @ light continues to blink and does not go solid, as it should if we were connected.  I'm having him bring both laptop and live box over here to connect to my DSL connection so that we can try to see if it's his phone line, live box or laptop. But I was wondering if any of you Mac folks had run across this issue before?

We're not using the Live Box software, btw.  I see no reason to do that as our connections work fine without it.

Any info gratefully accepted.

PG

On a similar subject.  Husband is fed up with Windows and is determined to buy an Apple machine.  We currently use Cegetel for our ADSL service.  Does anyone know if we would have to change our C-Box for the Apple?  can we just unplug the Windows machine and plug the equipment into the Apple??

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but sometimes the "simplest" things can be a nightmare.

Thanks.

Not sure about the technicalities, Lori, never heard of all that, but I just plug my Airport into the cable modem via the ethernet cable that would otherwise go into the computer. I have always assumed that the modem is platform-neutral. It all sorts itself out from there via the Network preferences (in System Preferences).

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Not sure about the technicalities, Lori, never heard of all that, but I just plug my Airport into the cable modem via the ethernet cable that would otherwise go into the computer. I have always assumed that the modem is platform-neutral. It all sorts itself out from there via the Network preferences (in System Preferences).

[/quote]

You would think that, wouldn't you?  But my friend, John, told me that when he got a technician on the phone and they heard he had a Mac, the immediate reaction was to fob him off on a "Mac" tech!

PG

I certainly had problems using Safari to set up my Buffalo wifi modem/router; some screens just would bot open so I guss that there was some VB script lurking in there somewhere.. In the end I used IE for the Mac (no longer available AFAIK) but maybe Opera or Firefox would be OK. Otherwise it may be a matter of linking the router to a PC just so that you can use a browser that it understands.