Any suggestions on the best wireless internet packages

We're considering buying a laptop with a wireless conection so that we can access emails and the internet on the move. 

Any suggestions regarding the best computer and or wireless package to buy for use primarily in France? 

Also, being a bit of a dunce, would this technically mean that if we also subscribe to a skype type service, we could also have an internet phone service on the move?  Or is this a step too far?!!

Thanks

Deb

A difficult one to answer as I suspect you will get as many options as replies.  My advice is to buy a router rather (than a modem) a good examples of which are the Netgear range of DG834,  DG834GT, or the DG834PN, these are easy to configure, and are wireless; though I think the PN version is over priced for the performance.  There are plenty of others around, just make sure you get something easy to setup.

Regards

Simon

Hi Deb,

When you say “access emails and internet on the move”, do you mean you want to use your laptop at wi-fi hotspots (eg in bigger hotels, some McDonalds, etc) or do you want to be able to access the internet anywhere?

If you only want to use your laptop at wi-fi hotspots, any laptop with built-in wi-fi or one with a separate wi-fi card (about £30) will do.  At hotspots, you pay by the hour / day / week for unlimited downloading / surfing.  Some McDonalds in France allow you unlimited free wi-fi access (although you’d be expected to buy something while you’re there!)  You can find wi-fi hotspots on Intel’s site:  http://www.jiwire.com/

If you want to be able to access the internet anywhere, you will need a 3G datacard.  You would need to sign up to a 12month minimum term contract with one of the mobile networks and, as with mobile contracts, you pay an amount each month which allows you so many megabytes of downloading.  This is expensive way to surf the internet as “downloading” also includes viewing internet pages (not just downloading files attachments) however it could be convenient for sending  / receiving emails as text based emails are not huge files.

Suggesting a laptop is difficult – there are so many variables.  I suggest you decide on a budget and then compare the specifications that are important to you, eg:  Processor / RAM memory / Hard drive size / Screen size and shape (widescreen?) / Connectivity (built-in wi-fi / card-reader / printer sockets?) / Weight / Battery life.  Do you want a French or UK keyboard and software - this will dictate where you buy your laptop and your choice.

Laptops are getting cheaper and better specified all the time.  If you want to use it “on the move”, I’d go for a lightweight one (under 2.5kg) with a longer battery life as you’ll not be able to plug it in while you’re enjoying your BigMac meal and surfing the web!

You will also need an ADSL wireless router to use your laptop around the house, unless your ISP has already supplied one.  PC Pro magazine (UK) November edition has reviews of the latest ADSL routers and wi-fi cards.  You can also read the reviews here:  http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/

Thanks to both of you, the thoughts are helping to clarify our needs far more.

I guess for most of the time wi-fi would be our best option but then for about 10-12 weeks of the year we'll be living out of rented accom and then 3G would come into it's own....either that or we'll just have to get used to eating lots of burgers!!

I'll have a look on the link regarding laptop options -

thanks

Deb

p.s. any thoughts regarding my remote phone question?

Insted of a laptop, have you thought maybe of one of the new PDAs with everything (including phone) built-in ?  I have a Q-tek and I can surf, use Skype, get emails etc when in a hotspot - quite a lot are free!! Even more are unprotected which is scary because anybody could feed off them for free. and it also works as a tri-band phone so even if not in a hotspot you can use the phone provider's gprs to also Skype or get emails as this is cheap per Mbyte - just avoid to download those huge pictures that friends may send you.  Oh yeah, and I can stick a card in the top of my PDA and hey Presto - a GPS Navigator !! Just a thought as an alternative

Thanks for this suggestion but I've had a PDA before and whilst I found it fantastic as a back up to my computer, I didn't find it much use when it came to either sending or receiving large attachments, which is what we'll need to do on a regular basis.   Good to know you can use it for Skype connections though.

Thanks

Deb