Connecting phone wires to RJ45 socket

I have some Legrand Mosaic RJ45 fitting which have phone and Cat 5E cables to them.

I have tried connecting the existing phone line to this new part of the system but I can't get the phone to work.

I have connected as follows to the RJ45 socket.

grey to 1

white to 3

blue to 5

The existing line is functioning with only these three connected at the moment.

I have ignored the colour scheme on the socket on the basis that that is for a network

Does anybody out there know what I am doing wrong?

Is ther many reason to connect all 8 wires?

Thanks in advance

Bill

Thanks Clair and Simon.

Clair - I tried the Legrand link which was helpful but I couldn't find any specific info on how to wire the RJ45 jack for phones.There is info on normal network wiring and telephone point wiring. I'm probably missing something.

Simon - as I'm, in effect, coming from a 'junction box' linking standard French phone wire to the Cat 5e cable and then to the RJ45jack I still am in the dark as to what colour connects to what number pin.

Re patch leads - would these connect the correct pins 'automatically'?

Other than that I seem to have two options in principle - follow one of the two standard schemes on the lables on the RJ45 jack, or try to follow the phone cable colours as closely as possible. If I used a Legrand Mosaic telephone point instead I would obviously follow the phone cable scheme, but I was hoping to avoid this especially as I have putt in the Cat5e and have the RJ45 jacks AND it would mean another trip to the shops.

Thanks again

Bill