Printing from Interner Explorer?

We have a problem trying to print anything from the web. When we do a 'Ctrl P' it comes up with the error below. It's been like it for a few weeks now and as far as I know I haven't changed anything?

Internet Explorer Script Error

An error has occured in the script on this page.

Line       228

Char      1

Error      Interface not recognised

Code     0

URL      res://C:\WINNT\system32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page

(Yes)              (No)

The error is always exactly the same whatever we are trying to print.

Our OS is XP Pro and we have the auto download option for prog updates.

It first showed up in a French learning programme and we thought that it was in that programme, so we have been chasing down that route. I had a thought today that it may be in Internet Explorer and the blasted thing is.

Any ideas at all? Please!!!!!

Oh I do love PCs [+o(][+o(][:'(]

First of all, I don't use internet explorer, I use Firefox. When I want to print anything from a web page I find it best to highlight just the information that you want and then go to 'FILE' 'PRINT' and then click the print selection button. That way you don't try to print the banners and all the odds and ends on the page, which may want to print in HTML.

Give it a go and see if it works.

Thanks for the gen Bob, but the problem we have is that we are trying to print from a French learning course that uses a web page somehow even though it runs from the hard disk. We need to print the whole page. There are no banners or bits on it. From what I have read on the M/soft help pages (1000s of them!) the script is a kind of sub routine and there may well be a corruption in it somewhere, but gawd knows where or how I get at it. I don't relish reloading IE either...

It even fails if I go to the BBC news site and use the printer friendly option. So it seems that it's 'gone off' the idea of printing from the web?

Just a suggestion that it might be worth trying using another printer. A few years ago I had a very similar problem and even the printer manufacturer could not solve it, so I replaced the printer and everything functioned properly.

Baz

Hi Baz, the printer works fine with everything that is not web based. So I would think that another printer would not cure this one. I have been trawling through the M/soft help to no avail and frightened my self half to death with some of the solutions, not for this problem though. I have an idea that I am going to have to re-install IE. I'm waiting for a reply from a mate of mine in the U.K. He's a wiz at PCs so I hope that he can come up with a suggestion or two?

Another reason for not going to another printer, yet, is that we only have the one...

Sounds like a java script error, have you the latest Java installed?  Also check your printer options ( control panel - printers faxes right click options) are set to print and images.

The simplest way to print from a web page is as said before,  just hightlight the text you want to print, copy and paste it to Word where you can then edit it to get rid of banners etc and then print from there.

I usually do Ron's highlighting trick, but then paste into Notepad, as it's much quicker than waiting for Word to cope with banners, funny fonts etc.  Then I select all the Notepad text and paste *that* into Word.  Sounds fiddly, but I have found it quicker.

The only problem is where you are copying a web page that has a table on it.  That gets grossly simplified in Notepad of course, and can make it a bit difficult to fathom afterwards.

Angela

Hi Ron, it looks as if it a Javascript error. I have found a damaged file in the WINNT folder. It's to do with ActiveX Control. All I have to do  now is to find out how I repair/replace it. There have been some other peculiar things happening on this thing, but we have been unable to pin them down. Perhapse they are related?

Oh how I love PCs. I have seen more user friendly cornered rats!

John.

Getting the same problem myself, seems to have started after I did some updating and installation of some programmes. Problem is I have no record of which one caused it, it just started when I decided to print a page in IE and like you doesn't seem to do it on anything else.

Could it be something to do with the Active X controls, I think it happened following a major update of my Trend PCcillin virus and security software from an updated product download.

I always hate how after the installation of a programme things suddenly change, I despair why every programme wants to take over my machine and be the default for this or the main  programme to handle a particular file.

Once I get things running the way I want them to, I am happy that its stays that way. In some cases I have rebuilt the software from the XP back up rather than let things work a differnet way to what I want. Thats a long winded way to get to square one I know.

More2Learn.

The damaged file on ours is an ActiveX Control jobbie. I found it by going through Help and search on Java. It brings up something about various problems to do wit IE and various errors. I can't remember the detail and as I'm on our laptop I can't look at it. The instructions take you through to find if there are any damaged files and how to replace them. That's my job today. Why can I feel an XP reload coming on?

Backups, must do backups!!!!!!!!! As an IBM hardware service engineer I was always telling my customers to do that, why don't I practice what I preach more often?

Last time I used the restore facility I finished up reloading this laptop. It totally screwed up and didn't know if it was drilled, bored or countersunk. Typical for a PC I suppose?

I'll try to replace the damaged file first and see what happens...

[quote user="Simon"]You might find this page useful, try updating your msoffice for a start.

Simon
[/quote]

Hi Simon, I have now updated MSOffice, no difference I afraid. I can't find the damaged file either? For now my OH will be copying anything she needs from the French course and pasting it into Word.

My wizz mate sent me a page to help with the update  http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/officeupdate/default.aspx . All you do is click on the 'Office Update  --  Check for updates' button and follow it through. Dead easy and if I say that it has got to be just that, dead easy!

All I have to do now is to find the bruddy problem!!