Internet Explorer 7

The final release version IE7 is now available for download as of today.

With reference to Jonzjob problem reference the entries in your "favorites". Once you've clicked on the yellow star and brought your list into view, don't click the blue arrow, just open the folder and click on the individual site you wish to view.

[quote user="louweezel"] Don't know John, i use Mozilla Firefox................ much better, i reckon!

Louise
[/quote]

I gave up on Firefox after about 6 months (about 3 months ago) because of its awful handling of Java & Active X (it wouldn't). It's pop-up blocker also stopped frames pages opening in a new window - very annoying, but most annoying was that I could get absolutely no support for it.

Don't know about IE7 either (I use W2000 on this machine, which won't run IE7).

I have noticed no performance issues with having loads of links in my Favourites. The machine I'm running it on is not massively powerful yet no speed issues.

The problem with Firefox is that it takes so long to start-up. IE7 is much much faster at starting. Once running IE7 and Firefox are pretty much the same speed. However, I find IE7 has several features that are better than Firefox (e.g. the drop down "temporary side bar"). As Nick says there some issues in Firefox with Active X (some just seem to stop working for no reason and it's impossible to get them working again.

There are certainly some security issues where the IE7 is better than Firefox. However, it is always difficult to keep track of many of these types of features as updates, fixes and patches will often be made to address these.

I paid the same for Firefox as IE7 (i.e. nothing) - so price differences are not an issue.

Different people's offerings are always leap frogging each other. When the latest Firefox was released it was better the IE6. Now IE7 is released it is better than Firefox, I would expect the next version of Firefox to be better than IE7, etc.

With the relase of the final product it will be good to get it working properly with this site (as previously they kept saying it would not because it was not release software, despite fixes being available from those that wrote the FTB used by this forum !! - hint hint)

Ian

As Ian says, the advantage does swing either way but I would say that Mozilla have had the edge in recent times despite a few problems.

I see that Firefox-2 is not far off full release with the 2.RC3 Beta version currently available for download. The finished version should enable them to stay ahead of the game.  Has anyone here tried the v2 Beta ?

When MS talk about performance issues where you have a lot of links under a directory in the Favourites they may be referring to displaying the web page icon. What can happen when you get a lot of links is that the names display quickly with the default IE icon against them (they all work fine, etc.), and then where web pages have their own icon, that can take a short time to display.

Ian

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

[quote user="louweezel"] Don't know John, i use Mozilla Firefox................ much better, i reckon!

Louise
[/quote]

I gave up on Firefox after about 6 months (about 3 months ago) because of its awful handling of Java & Active X (it wouldn't). It's pop-up blocker also stopped frames pages opening in a new window - very annoying, but most annoying was that I could get absolutely no support for it.

Don't know about IE7 either (I use W2000 on this machine, which won't run IE7).

[/quote]

Hi Nick, how the hell did you get rid of Firefox?I have installed it and I don't like it after a few days. I can't find it on Add/Remove Progs or Start - Programmes for the removal. Crafty sods don't tell you how to remove it on their site either.

I can't even find out how to contact the Firefox support other than chat rooms, forums, etc...

Any ideas please?

Crikey, that last post of mine looks a bloody mess!

Sam, thank you for the gen about IE7. I had already installed it yesterday when I read your message and it looks good (apart from the tiny box that I am writing in at the moment. The message box has gone tiny!!) If I can get rid of Firefox now I will be a lot happier.

Ian, that is exactly what was happening. I found out by accident that the favorites can be shown as a list. Easy when you know how init?

[quote user="Eslier"]As Ian says, the advantage does swing either way but I would say that Mozilla have had the edge in recent times despite a few problems.

I see that Firefox-2 is not far off full release with the 2.RC3 Beta version currently available for download. The finished version should enable them to stay ahead of the game.  Has anyone here tried the v2 Beta ?

[/quote]

Hi,

I'm currently using Firefox 2 (RC3) - only for the last couple of days - without problems. The only (slightly) annoying thing is that not all the extensions/add-ons work with it yet, but I expect they'll all get updated for the new version soon. I'll have to see if it works on the sites where previously it didn't... Having said that, I use IE Tab extension anyway, which means you can set specific sites to use the ie7 renderer inside firefox (in other words, you get the best of both worlds. In my opinion. Maybe too much hassle for some.)

I was tempted to go back to ie7, but I'd miss the add-ons too much.

Iain

Removing Firefox

In the Windows Add/Remove Programs list its called "Mozilla Firefox", not just "Firefox" and is thus quite a lot further down the list of programs you can un-install (i.e. starting with M). Its a straightforward un-install, nothing nasty.

Ian

Hi Ian, I have just had a look at the Add/Remove on our laptop and it was mentioned there. Not any more, it's been removed. But on our desktop machine it is not in the listing on Add/Remove. I have looked several times.

The only difference between the 2 is the desktop is on XP Pro and the laptop on XP Home, but I wouldn't think that would make a diffeence? It does appear on the Programmes listing from  the Start button. Very strange.

• 1 month later...
[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Hi Ian, I have just had a look at the Add/Remove on our laptop and it was mentioned there. Not any more, it's been removed. But on our desktop machine it is not in the listing on Add/Remove. I have looked several times.

The only difference between the 2 is the desktop is on XP Pro and the laptop on XP Home, but I wouldn't think that would make a diffeence? It does appear on the Programmes listing from  the Start button. Very strange.

[/quote]

On your Add/Remove page have you checked "Show Updates"?  If not, you might try that before you download it again.

[quote user="tenniswitch"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

[/quote]

On your Add/Remove page have you checked "Show Updates"?  If not, you might try that before you download it again.

[/quote]

Firefox installed as a separate application not as an Update. Thus it will appear in the standard Add/Remove programs list without including "Show Updates".

Ian

Thank you for the continued interest, but I thought that I had posted a reply on this a while back? I re-installed it as you suggested Ian and then it deleted OK. So now I am free of it! Thanks again..

Edit ;  I have now gone over to try Eudora because I was getting fed up with Outlook. It seems to be a goodun. Nice and easy to use. I will be upgrading my HDD next week to an 80 gig disk and when I reload I am going to leave outlook off all together. If I decide later against Eudora I can always go back to outlook... I must admit that it will be nice to have more disk space, but who the hell could ever need the 20 gig I have now, never mind 80!