BBC streaming problems since 20/12/06

Two days ago I was unable to connect to the BBC news section for several hours.  The page part loaded then froze.  Same with other "news" sections such as sport.  I am still finding that photos in the news section do not download.

David

[quote user="tenniswitch"]For the past 3 days I've been unable to listen to BBC4 and BBC7 via computer.  I haven't made any changes to my system.  Has anyone else had connection problems with the BBC lately?[/quote]

No, both seem to be streaming okay.

Well, it's weird.  I just checked and can't connect on the PC either.  That lets out firewall settings on my laptop as the problem.  I haven't changed any router settings lately, but my IP was down for a few hours last week for "maintenance", so maybe I'd better contact Embarq.

Well, for what it's worth, I've tracked down the reason: my ISP's software upgrade last week has caused a compatibility problem with the BBC server's software.  The Embarq tech support guy I talked with actually downloaded RealPlayer onto his computer and tried to connect to the BBC streaming audio; he got the same error message that I've been getting.

He's sent a note to his tech people, and I'll try using the BBC's "contact us" link, and we'll see if someone, somewhere can fix the problem.

In the meantime, I'm in Archers withdrawal.

[quote user="Cassis"]So trying BBC Radio on Windows Mediaplayer is no good either?
[/quote]

No, I used to get BBC7 on WinMP, but now I can't connect.  The problem definitely seems to be between my US ISP's software upgrade and the BBC server.  I'll just have to get my radio news from NPR for a while.

At least I should be able to listen to the BBC via Orange when I get back to France in April.