I have a pre-installed version of WinXP but as I do not have the disc I can't install the fax facility, I tried installing an old modem based fax but (undersatandaly) it couldn't find a modem,. I'm on ADSL and after a bit of messing around I found refernce on another site that ADSL does not support fax anyway, is this true?

I don't have a great deal of knowledge on this subject which, thinking about it, is probably why I've never managed to get Microsoft Fax to work reliably. I could get it to send, but not receive, then I could get it to receive but not send. In the end I bought a seperate phone/fax machine. It's much easier.

Yup! ADSL does not directly support fax. Using a dial-up modem when you send a fax it is dialled directly to the receiving machine, not via your ISP.

That said, a number of ISPs offer an email-to-fax service and I think some even have a service that turns an incoming fax into an email attachment that you can view or print out.

This describes the service my ISP provides.

http://www.demon.net/toolkit/electronicfax/

There may also be some ISP-independent services, but I don't know of any.

Quite honestly, if you need to do this occasionally it's probably worth setting up a dial-up modem and keeping it unplugged (for security against rogue diallers) except when you need it.

You always get an answer here! Dept of Works and Pensions prefer to talk by fax apparently, so that's the reason for the OP. How about if I re-instal my old modem and the associated software, could I then plug it into my French phone line, or am I being too optimistic?