First laptop purchase: advice needed please...

is it available in 3 phase?  perhaps you could post the link........[:D][:D][:D]

Re the laptop, do you really want a lap top or would a desk top do?  The reason I ask - and of its course your decision ! - is that a much better spec machine can be had for the same money if you stick with a desktop.

Lap tops are for moving about, taking to site, in the car etc.  Ideal if thats the intended use, but to use in the home, they become a pain: always having to plug in the cables - power, modem, network, USB printer. external keyboard & mouse, everytime you want to use the thing.  and those infernal multi function keyboards - well, they test the patience of a saint.

For the same money a super spec desk top can be had.......just a thought.

[quote user="PCWhizz"]is it available in 3 phase?  perhaps you could post the link........[:D][:D][:D]

Re the laptop, do you really want a lap top or would a desk top do?  The reason I ask - and of its course your decision ! - is that a much better spec machine can be had for the same money if you stick with a desktop.

Lap tops are for moving about, taking to site, in the car etc.  Ideal if thats the intended use, but to use in the home, they become a pain: always having to plug in the cables - power, modem, network, USB printer. external keyboard & mouse, everytime you want to use the thing.  and those infernal multi function keyboards - well, they test the patience of a saint.

For the same money a super spec desk top can be had.......just a thought.

[/quote]

You're absolutely right about the cost, but there is one reason that I'm thinking about buying a laptop for use solely in France: I can buy it in the US and set up everything in English.   I'd leave it in France so wouldn't need to keep repeating the plugging/unplugging ritual and would get one big enough to have a numeric keyboard.  Then just update my files via USB flash memory.

PCWhizz - I've got a decent spec desktop and want the laptop so I can use it anywhere in the house.  The desktop is in the breakfast room and I get withdrawal symptoms when guests are having breakfast.  It's for 2 things - so I can work and surf when people are dallying over breakfast and so I can take it outside on the terrace to work and surf when it's fine.  I also hope to backup the PC files and system onto it in case of HD or system failure and vice versa.

I think for me it should be okay RAM-wise (512Mb DDR2 equiv approx 1Gb I was told though I don't know a RAM from a SHEEP) as it's mainly for buggering about on the forum while the guests are having breakfast, emails and some spreadsheet work.  I don't really do that much photo editing and I can use the desktop for that.  I'm more concerned with using a touchpad mouse - I used to use a whole bunch of different laptops when I worked in the UK and hated every mouse.  Maybe plug a proper one in?

Re the memory, tres bon advice Albert, min 1Gb, 512Mb is pants these days. 

Doubling up to 2Gb is also a good idea for the use you suggest so long as you use the same memory type.  However, any more and its a waste on an XP system, you will need Vista to make use of more than 2gig.

Laptop price is very good, albeit quite a low spec machine, great for office and surfing, but not much else and of course, with a laptop, the upgrade path is difficult.

[quote user="Cassis"]I think for me it should be okay RAM-wise (512Mb DDR2 equiv approx 1Gb I was told though I don't know a RAM from a SHEEP) as it's mainly for buggering about on the forum while the guests are having breakfast, emails and some spreadsheet work.  I don't really do that much photo editing and I can use the desktop for that.  I'm more concerned with using a touchpad mouse - I used to use a whole bunch of different laptops when I worked in the UK and hated every mouse.  Maybe plug a proper one in?
[/quote]

I'd recommend you get a nice little USB or wireless mouse.  I love my little infrared one.  Absolutely loathe the laptop touchpad variety.