HP is one brand where service isues are always handled by the manufacturer rather than the retailer, so in theory that should be good, as customer service is often an issue with French stores.

However, I would be very wary with HP. I do not know exactly how the French side is organised, but HP international policy is to outsource all after-sales service outside the USA. In the case of the British end, once you get through to the people who are contracted to actually do the repairs, they are very good. But in order to get this far,there is no way you can avoid dealing with Indian call centres, which are a total nightmare (I even tried routing my problems through the US outfit, which was sympathetic but inflexible in the extreme). I cannot imagine the French system will be any better. The call centre may not be in India and the repairer may be in France, but there will still be the same long-winded process, I am certain. I had enough difficulty communicating with HP's Indians, so the thought of me as a non-native French speaker trying to communicate with a remote call centre does not fill me with confidence. Maybe the call centre people will speak English and French, but somehow I doubt it.

You get what you pay for, bottom budget equal low quality and / or poor spec.  Have a play with the proposed purchase first, then make your mind up.  Acer seems to be a star at the moment for the price vs spec vs build quality balance.  Keep your eye open for any good deals on XP spec machines as with the recent Vista launch, there should be some good deals to be had.  But then if it were me, I'd get Vista, hang the cost as you'll regret it in 12 months if you don't.  Just my 2 euro cents worth.