ISPs and domain names

We're hoping to move out soon and for internet banking, I need to know which ISPs will allow me to use my own domain names --.uk.net  ; .eu.com  ; .com  . any help gratefully accepted -- it's bad enough in UK to get 2nd tier domains listed, but in France ????

Most ISPs insist (for advertising--I believe) that their customers use domain names ending with their company tag, ie.  .wanadoo.fr  or .tiscali.fr   . I have my own domain names as stated in my original question and in order to arrange international e-mail banking, I must have my domain names sorted out before I leave UK, so that I can prove my ID to them. I hope that clears up my question !! Thanks !

Iain

[quote user="IAIN"]

Most ISPs insist (for advertising--I believe) that their customers use domain names ending with their company tag, ie.  .wanadoo.fr  or .tiscali.fr   . I have my own domain names as stated in my original question and in order to arrange international e-mail banking, I must have my domain names sorted out before I leave UK, so that I can prove my ID to them. I hope that clears up my question !! Thanks !

Iain

[/quote]

Iain, basically if you want to use your own domain names and email, you must pay for hosting.

just because the ISP's all give email accounts to use, it doesn't mean that you must use them. They are internet service providers who principally give you access to the internet. Your own domain names and email associated with them will still function regardless.The issue is who hosts your domain names. If you want your ISP to do it, most of them will but you will have to pay extra for it though. It is a much better and (usually cheaper) idea to use a dedicated hosting company. I use 1and1 here in France and it is very cheap and reliable. At the moment my ISP is Club Internet but I don't use the email address supplied by them anymore, only the ones associated with my domain names.

You can, of course, use a hosting company in the UK or anywhere else for that matter.Try www.uk2.net That might be easier if you want to do it in English. I think it is best to use a french hosting company if you want to use .fr domain names along with other types.

I think it is easier to get internet access from one company and keep your hosting with someone else. If you want to change provider, then your domain name and email hosting is not affected.

I hope that helps. I don't really understand the connection to banking either but never mind! I access uk accounts via the bank's websites. You did say international email banking and I don't know what that means.

Danny

Iain, I think you're confusing ISPs (Internet service providers) with web hosts: an ISP allows you to access the Internet (via a modem), while a web host "hosts" your website on its server (a big computer that stores and manages information and acts as a hub to connect other computers). French hosts will certainly host your com, eu.com and eu names, though you might have a problem with co.uk. Why not stick with your current host and simply arrange Internet access via a French ISP? The ISP will give you an email address (e.g. [email protected]) but 1) you won't have to use it and 2) you'll do your banking via your bank's website, not via email. I haven't lived in the UK for many years, but I have my domains hosted there. Hope this helps.

PS Da**! Have just seen that Jane and Danny beat me to it by 1 minute!

PPS I use 1&1 in the UK, and they're good, too