We're taking a long term let and will have a phone line. How do I arrange internet access and what lead will I need for my English lap top?

help please . I'm fairly cluless about such things but know I will miss the internet if I can't set it up

Catherine

[quote user="cking"]

We're taking a long term let and will have a phone line. How do I arrange internet access

[/quote]

There are a couple of issues here: do you want broadband or dial-up access? If the latter, then there is no real problem, just sign for the Orange bas-debit service when you sign up for the telephone line. If you want broadband then it basically depends on where you are in relation to the telephone exchange - if you are close to it then you will be able to get broadband - if not then you won't. If you know the telephone number for the place, put it into one of the broadband comparison sites (eg www.adsl-facile.fr or www.dslvalley.com) to see what speeds and ISPs are available.

[quote user="cking"]

and what lead will I need for my English lap top?

[/quote]

If it is just dial-up, then you can buy a suitable, standard French modem lead with an RJ11 connecter on one end (for the computer end) and a French telephone plug on the other. Carrefour and other hypermarkets do them. If you want broadband, then you will need a broadband modem or modem/router and suitable filters - which you can buy as a package from your new ISP. The connection between your computer and the router can then either be wireless (if the PC is suitably equipped) or via a standard ethernet cable.

Regards

Pickles

I suppose it all depends on the cost but you could use a Vodaphone data card (2 types) which can either be plugged in to the usb port or the PCMA Card slot.

There is a usage limit depending on your monthly outlay but I use mine when I take my Laptop to our Caravan at Exmouth. A little slower but works fine.

Lokk at the Vodaphone website and it will give you all the costs. May save having to set up a phone line and ISP etc.

David