Teleconnect Broadband

This usually means that you are not connecting to the exchange equipment - check with your ISP - Teleconnect - that they have activated your account. If it's a new connection this may take a few days.

If you still have an internet connection (seeing as you have posted here I suppose you must) try clicking on this link and see what some others have tried http://forum.theispguide.com/isp-ftopic3.html

Thanks for your reply. As we didn't have a letter from them, only the modem we phoned and I am sure the account is activated.

However I am using my UK  DSL aol account here but dial up. I understand AOL can cause lots of problems so I'm worried that AOL is my problem.

Sorry, I'm a little confused.

Firstly, can I confirm that we talking about a new internet account with Teleconnect.

Second, that this is a ADSL/Broadband account you are trying to activate, if so, why are you using your UK AOL account and, I presume, settings, or have I got this totally wrong?

You will need the connection settings for your Teleconnect account to fire the thing up - unless I've mistaken what you're trying to do.

Tim

How long ago did you apply ?

I have literally applied to Teleconnect in the past few days and in their email they said:

"The connection is usually effective within 2 weeks but it can be within a week"

Also in the FAQ on their site it says:"

"The service is operational in automatic dialing (preselection) within a few days. The broadband Anglopack service requires usually 10 to 20 days to become operational"

Sorry if I have confused anyone. I have been using my UK AOL account here in France for years because I can use dial up at no extra cost.

However its so slow and I often get thrown off every few minutes.

I decided I must have broadband and chose Teleconnect because I can cancel at anytime paying 45 euro fee and they have english telephone support.

I sent my order on 30th March and almost 3 weks later received the modem pack. I hadn't received a service confirmation letter from them so waited a week as instructed. We telephoned, our line was checked and they said it had been upgraded and told we could go ahead.

From the site recommended it might be a Windows XP problem?

We will be ableto phone them tomorrow. Fingers crossed they ma be able to help

I've been doing a bit of research on this and it does seem to me that it might be your AOL's software getting in the way and thinking it's still on dialup.

I've come up with a couple of things you might like to try at your own risk of course !

Quote:

"My own experiences with AOL have spurred me to create this guide to connecting to AOL without and 3rd-party software whatsoever. Hopefully you'll find this helpful. Not only can you connect without their software, but you can set up your connection to always be on, from the second you start windows.

Setting up a connection with AOL so you can remove their shi**y software:

1. Make sure you are disconnected from AOL via their software.

2. Start -> Connect To -> Show All Connections.

3. Double-Click "New Connection Wizard".

4. Hit "Next".

5. Make sure "Connect to the internet is selected" and hit "Next" again.

6. Select "Set up my connection manually" and hit "Next".

7. Select "Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password" and hit "Next".

8. In the "ISP Name" box enter something to describe it to you. Something like "AOL Broadband" will do you.

9. Enter your User Name in the box - Something like "[email protected]" then enter the password you use to connect to AOL in each of the boxes below. Hit "Next".

*** IMPORTANT - you must get your username right and the standard format is the first two letters of your first name, the first three letters of your last name, then three random numbers, not forgetting that you also need to include "@aol.com". The example above is what Kevin Smith's AOL username might be. ***

10. Hit "Finish".

At this point you can stop and simply connect to AOL by going Start -> Connect To -> AOL Broadband, but I recommend taking the next few steps and having your connection always on.

11. In the box that comes up hit "Properties". (This box can also be brought up by going Start -> Connect To -> AOL Broadband)

12. Goto the "Options" tab and increase the "Redial attempts" to 100, then change the "Time between redial attempts" to 1 second.

13. On this same screen uncheck the box labelled "Promt for name and password, certificate, etc." Hit "OK".

14. Open Start -> Connect To -> then left-click and drag "AOL Broadband" to your desktop to create a shortcut.

15. Right-Click the new shortcut and select "Cut".

16. Right-Click the Start button and select "Open".

17. Open "Programs" then "Start Up".

18. Right-Click in the blank space and select "Paste".

That's it - now when you log into windows your AOL connection will automatically connect itself and stay conencted."

and also this

Quote:

This would only work on a PC that has already got (or at least had) the software on before. Well, maybe it would also work on a single user modem; but for most people who use routers, which are becoming ever popular with the Wi-Fi generation, you will need to set this up manually.

This guide in NOT tested and is simply what I think would work for people with routers and furthermore be better in the sense that Windows doesn’t have to be altered.

I do not use AOL (I’m smart) but a friend whose PC 
I’ll be fixing soon does. I’ve done a format & reinstall after he got a crap load of viruses. And this is what I’m going to try; if anyone is willing to test this then please do and report back.

1) Get anything you need off the web now whilst you still have access (read all instructions first), get rid of AOL’s software and anything AOL
related and reset your router (usually a tiny button on the back, get a needle, or in the configuration options – see later)

2) Connect your pc to your router using an Ethernet Cable
if it already isn’t (that’s you wireless fan boys).

3) Go to Start>Control Panel>
Network Connections (and then manage network connections for Vista) and disable any wireless connections and make sure your Ethernet connection is on and working (usually called Local Area Connection or something).

4) Go to Start then run (or Win Key and R) and type cmd, when the command prompt appears type :
Ipconfig /all
And amongst the drivel that transpires there should be a heading on “
Local Area Connection” or thereabouts, and underneath the subheading “default gateway. Write down this number (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or...you get the picture).

5) Open up internet explorer (or your favourite browser that isn’t made by AOL!) and type this number into the address bar. You should get either a password login screen or a router management screen; if it’s the latter then move on to step 7.

6) Chances are if you’re reading this you’ve never logged into your router before so the name and password will be default factory settings. Usually admin and password (Net gears) but you can get this info in your router’s manual or off their website. Log in once you’ve got it.

7) Most decent routers have a wizard so look for one. Then you’ll just have to enter your AOL username and password. If you do have to do it manually you want PPoA.

8) Most routers are set to be always on but I wouldn’t be surprised if any previous AOL shitware told it not to; so look through all the options of your router to see if there is that option and turn it on. It may be called redial or something or it may not even be there as the router does it by design.

9) That’s basically it, try browsing the web using IE and if it works, restart your PC and fire it back up with touching nothing anything AOL related.

ErnieY

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive reply. I will be trying to resolve our problem today by first going over the set up procedure to make sure I've done exactly what they say. Then I may just try what you suggest as you are not the first to rubbish AOL and its more than intrusive software.

Needless to say  will let you know what happens.

Thanks again

[quote user="Pagnol"]

ErnieY

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive reply. I will be trying to resolve our problem today by first going over the set up procedure to make sure I've done exactly what they say. Then I may just try what you suggest as you are not the first to rubbish AOL and its more than intrusive software.

Needless to say  will let you know what happens.

Thanks again

[/quote]Sounds like a plan and yes, AOL S/W is the spawn of [6], and once on your machine utterly impossible to fully remove.

Good luck.

Note to mods: Is it coincidence that [6][6][6] is depicted on screen as [ 6 ] [6 ][ 6 ] because I'm sure we are all familar with the Mark of the Beast !

Hi ErnieY

I went through the installation again and this time it worked!!!!  Even with a streaming cold I jumped around for joy.

I think I hadn't checked the Protocole Internet TCP/IP.

Can't thank you enough for your response. Truly grateful.

Vanessa

Good stuff, Pagnol.

Can you keep us posted once you've used it for a bit?  My phone is teleconnect, but my internet is Alice and I'm thinking of changing.  I'm so impressed with the former's service and will get my bills down a bit if I do it so would love to know how you get on.  Thanks.

Hi ErnieY

It was completely on my own, hence the joy!I just went over the instructions again slowly.

I didn't have to use a CD. I was sent two pages of instructions and another page covering other phones in the home, WiFi, explanation of VOIP, suggestions for free email accounts.

Two more pages described VOIP telephone advanced features and how to set them up.

You were extremely helpful to me so if  can help you I will. I could send you photocopies of the instructions. PM me with your address.

Cooperlola

I am happy to oblige.

My only complaint so far is we didn't receive a service confirmaion letter from them. The modem pack arrived saying if you didn't have the letter wait a week before telephoning.

Very frustrating when 3 weeks had already passed waiting for the modem.

But so far those answering the phone have been polite and helpful. So far so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on my experiences with Teleconnect so far.

Those who have followed this thread will see that I applied to them on April 26th, principally on the strength of the English support, so I was understandably disappointed when, at my house on the weekend of 13th/14th, I discovered that nothing had happened, no router, no communication, nada...........[:(].

I contacted them on my return to the UK and was asked to resend my forms which I did and I have just been on the phone to them to find out what's going on.

Apparently, because I emailed them instead of faxing, my forms had fallen into some "black hole" and therefore my application hadn't been acted upon at all....not what I wanted to hear nor an auspicious start to a relationship.

I'm now waiting for them to email me back to tell me what the plan is so I'll post again later.

It's lucky that I'm still living in UK and not in France yet otherwise my attitude might be somewhat less laid back.

The only consolation of course is that the communication is in English...........!

• 4 weeks later...

Update 16/06/07

I've just got down to my house again and this time all is well and I got connected up within 5 minutes and @ the expected 2mb.

Like others though, I didn't receive any confirmation letter, just the blurb with the router, but it was enough to get going.

Interestingly, looking at the ADSL stats in the router, my line attenuation is around the 50dB shown by Degrouptest however my SNR (noise ratio) is an excellent 20dB and I am synching with the exchange at around 6mb which strongly suggests I may be able to download a lot faster if Teleconnect can bump me up so I'll be contacting them first thing on Monday [:D]

For independant verification this chart tends to confirm my thoughts

http://www.internode.on.net/images/copyright/internode-adsl2-distance.jpg

Even though my line length is 4838m the stats seem to indicate that with only 50dB attenuation it is of exceptional quality and considerably better than would normally be expected for the distance. It is actually relatively new because EDF and FT have been replacing old cables locally and burying the old overheads etc. and they have installed a small transformer cubicle at the end of my lane, only some 800m away, from where both my phone and power cables now emerge. I suspect they may have run a decent piece of new cable to this when upgrading (fibre optic maybe - would make sense) and this is the reason for it being so good.

Lets see what Monday brings...!