Broadband in region 36

My husband and I are planning to move to our house in the 36 region early next year. We have had the house for 4 years and currently have a phone line but this has been disconnected.

We will obviously be having this re-connected when we move there and are also interested in getting Sky so we can watch English channels and also Eurosport. We also want the internet but would prefer broadband, does anyone know if this is available in our region or how we can find this out?

Any help would be appreciated and also any info regarding Sky and the cheapest way to get this as the info we have read may be out of date now.

Many thanks

You need a phone number , either yours or a neigbours to find out, If you read the old threads there is a link to input the phone number and find out. It is not down to the department, but to the individual dwelling, to see what you can get.

This subject has been covered many times.

We live in 36 and are in a small village. We have 2mb broadband connection and also receive British tv (All the Beeb channels, ITV, C4, C5 and sky 3 or something as well as a few crappy free to air channels too) via a satellite (although we personally do not receive Sky as we do not have a UK address in order for Sky to bill us, and also the fact we don't want sky).

If you have a sky box, bring it with you, and it's pretty simple to whack a dish up on the side of your house (or get someone to do it for you, but they are very expensive).

For the internet we use Orange and pay something like 34 euros a month and that gives us unlimited free calls in all France via the router as well as a 2mb connection.

Whereabouts you moving to in 36?

[quote user="Bob T"]You need a phone number , either yours or a neigbours to find out[/quote]A word of caution: it is far from uncommon in France to find neighbouring properties with very different line properties. In my own case for instance my neighbour who is closer to our village is on a miserable 512kb whereas I have a solid 2mb.

If a decent Internet connection is important to you do do your research.

ErnieY's advice, as always, is spot on. I have two friends who live quite close to each other in dept 36. One has 2Mb package with Orange the other has to live with a 56kb dial up.

Furthermore, I live in a commune, in 86, where we have ADSL. I have installed 2 packages for friends in the same commune who are further away from the exchange than I am, by as much a 1 km, yet they each obtain 5 - 600kbs more than I do.

So tread carefully and do your research.

http://www.degrouptest.com/       

if you can obtain a very local telephone number, enter it into the space on this web site and it will let you know if you are able to receive ADSL

Hi Linda and Richard,

I also will be living in dept 36 in about 4 weeks time (10 kms from La Chatre), one of the first things I have to do is set up a broadband connection so I can communicate with family etc, I was interested in your comment that you get unlimited calss within France , does this also apply to calls thro your modem to the UK or do you have to pay, as I am looking for a provider who can give me Broadband ( which is available in my area) and unlimited free calls to the UK , I also intend to keep my FT line active for incoming calls as most of my family subscribe to Planet talk which gives worldwide calls from the UK for 3 pence per minute.

Billy10

Billy10,

With Orange, you choose the package that suits you but it ends up being more expensive than their competitors.

You can choose without contract or with a 12 month contract. The cost of unlimited calls is 5 euros cheaper with the contract. This is only for calls within France. For calls to the UK and other countries, you must pay an extra 7 euros per month. You must rent the livebox too.This all mounts up. With Orange, you pay more for different speeds. This might not be important if the line only takes 512kb for example.

With the others, Free, Alice, Neuf everything is included and it works out cheaper and you get the fastest speed the line can support. Teleconnect is a bit more expensive for the VOIP calls but it is all in English if that is of interest to you.

Danny

EDIT: p.s. your last bit about people being able to contact you, I don't quite understand. If you choose to give up the FT line then people can still call you and you keep the same telephone number. This assumes that the modem is switched on of course. All telephones will ring as normal.

Nearly 2 years and life is good. Really enjoying it. Having lived in England and Australia, French life is a cross between the two and more. The history and permenance of England with the laid back 'she'll be right mate' attitude of the Australians. Weather is warmer than England and more interesting than Australia (sunshine 365 days a year does get very tedious). Cost of living is cheaper than either country too (in our experience). Life is good. :)

Sounds great, I can't wait to move there. We just need to finish our extension on our house here then intend to sell it, downsize and rent out that house to give us an income. Glad to hear that the cost of living in France is less then as we have read conflicting info on this and having only been there on holiday so far it's hard to tell. We know our bills for the french house are a lot less than England!!

So where are you originally from? 

SE England, then went to Australia, married Lynda, emigrated there, became an Aussie citizen and 8 years later wound up in the heart of France. Life is truly bizaar sometimes the way it all works out. To think I used to hate the French too.

You reckon you'll be able to live off the rent on one house though? We have 3 rented in Australia and it's not enough to live off. Then again, the Aussie dollar is only worth about 60% of a euro, whereas the pound is stronger than the euro, and we have to pay rates and all that rubbish too and I don't think you do in the UK do you?

Spooky, we live in SE England also, in Kent.

Yeah I hope we will, I have done my sums and they seem to add up if we are careful. That's right, the people renting your house in the UK pay the rates. Our plan is to live in France for 4 or 5 years to finish our renovation and then decide what we want to do. We have a lump sum of money to pay for the renovation so the rental money will just be for day to day living.