Orange livebox, connecting to a router.

Hi All,

I have decided to take orange up on their téléphone illimité offer. However to enable me to access the free calls i must use the livebox, something i am not too keen on as i am more than happy with my two wireless routers. It is necessary that the livebox be connected to the main router to allow full use of our home network.

Has anyone tried to do this before? Is it possible to use the livebox as the modem and then connect it to a 3com router to connect all our laptops/computers to the internet?

Many Thanks

Ed

What's the problem with just connecting the livebox to the phone line and it servicing all your wireless and telephone needs? Does a fine job in our house, especially as most of our walls are a metre thick. Had no problems with the livebox at all in nearly two years of service.

But as for your question, I have no idea if you can do what you propose. Be intrigued to find out if you can and see what the advantages would be.

Thanks for your reply. I have two banks of computers in two parts of the house that require wired connections and these are serviced by two routers, both are some distance from the phone point, therefore i need all the ports on both routers. The attractiveness of reducing the phone bill is the main reason for this venture, however I cannot see an alternitive to using the livebox for téléphone illimité.

Ed

I don't see why you cannot make a wired connection from the livebox to your routers - the livebox has, I think, two ethernet sockets as well as the wireless connection. But for that sort of setup you should maybe consider the 'livebox pro' ADSL option that is designed for small business networks and still has the phone option.