laptop performance battery Vs mains?

I have an Acer laptop, which has a thing on the task bar which allows me to alter the settings regarding the screen brightness, processor speed etc when the laptop is on battery or mains power. It was set as default to lower performance on battery to prolong battery life.

Anyway, My sister has a Samsung laptop which also has lower performance on battery, but I see no way to change these settings. As it stands, on battery the computer runs a noticeable amount slower, and dvd playback starts to stutter. How can I change these settings? Its running XP.

Thanks,

Dave.

that only allows me to change the time its stays inactive before standby and the delay before stopping the hard-drive etc.

My Acer`s thing allows the processor to run at a slower speed and dims the screen when on battery ( i have changed this as it got on my nerve) I assume this samsung does something similar as its definately slower on battery and the screen dims too, but i cant find a way to change or over-ride the settings

Has she got the drivers/software cd that came with the laptop? It maybe that she has uninstalled the program to control these features and it simply needs to be installed again. On my Compaq and Dell laptops, I have cds with this sort of thing on, things like controlling volume from the volume buttons on the laptop, turn wireless on and off etc and also the power management which is what you are looking for.

The software for this sort of facility is usually provided by the Processor suppliers, i.e. Intel and AMD, but not all laptops come installed. You may be able to download it from the web though, usually free too.

What Processor does the Samsung use ?

The XP power settings only allow me to adjust the standby times etc.

The computer has never had the power management program Im after iirc. I have recently re-installed windows from  its original discs but that made no difference either.

I will see if I can find something on the net.