Mobile phone query!

I'm pretty sure in the early days of mobile 'phones in the UK the system of credit did expire after a month, or two. But that didn't last long, although I'm not sure exactly why because I don't remember any sort of outcry about being 'diddled'. I'm also pretty sure that the reason given, at one time anyway, was the lack of numbers available. When the UK went through several telephone re-numbering schemes more numbers became available and the issue was resolved.

I stand to be corrected on both these things as the memory plays tricks - if anybody knows any different.

Tim

I've recently bought (online) a Virgin France SIM card; 15€ for the card and a 10€ top-up. You also get 5€ of calls free. The top-up expires after 90 days, which is obviously slightly better than those which expire after only 30 days! The coverage seems OK to me and I get a signal in the house too!

Sid

Timco  thats how I recall it too.

At the end of the day it all depends on why you want a mobile, what you will use it for and so on. Here my wife and my son each have Orange PAYG sim cards. They pay 35€ which gives them 40€ of credit and last for 3 months. They use their credit up most times and overall its not a bad system.

We had looked at the likes of Tele2 Mobile where we could have had a phone and card for a 2 year contract and 30 mins of calls for 14€ per month but we would have had to pay extra for texts and any calls that went over the 30 mins. Given that the Orange MobiCarte allows for texts and voice calls and doesnt limit you to a certain number of calls per month we stayed with the MobiCarte.

Paul,

As the trend is towards smaller phones, finding one with decent sized keys may be difficult – unless you know someone with a Nokia 3310 / 3300 / 6310 they no longer require gathering dust!

Your choice of phones may be limited by which network you want the phone on.  Have a look at Nokia 1600 / 6080 / 2310, Samsung C300 or Motorola C261.  An elderly person may find the numbers easier to read on a handset with black keys with white numbers.

The keypads on “flip-phone” style handsets are usually better spaced than conventional shaped phones – most have features an elderly person may not need like a camera, but have a look at the Motorola W220 which doesn’t have unnecessary features.

Thanks for the info.The resaon I asked was mainly because recently the phone locked me outand I had to obtain a PUK from OneTel to unlock the phone. The phone on ebay is new, do they all come loaded with incoming calls. Alternatively if I buy one from say Amazon are they too preloaded?

Unless it is actually faulty a phone generally only locks out if you enter the PIN code wrongly 3 times.

If you are buying a phone without a SIM card when you put your Onetel SIM in in essence it becomes exactly the old one was.

You don't "load" a phone with incoming calls or anything, it's all in the SIM if one is included.

If the phone on eBay or Amazon comes with a SIM it should say if there is any prepaid credit etc., if not ask.