PC Pitstop

Several times now, while on the internet, my computer has frozen and I get a window opening from PC Pitstop stating that my machine has registry problems, and offering to fix them.

So far I have refused the offer, closed the window and rebooted the machine, after which all seems to work fine.

I would be grateful for your advice as to whether I should allow PC Pitstop to scan my machine, and if they are safe, reputable and secure.

Many thanks,

David

[quote user="David"]

Several times now, while on the internet, my computer has frozen and I get a window opening from PC Pitstop stating that my machine has registry problems, and offering to fix them.[/quote]

First of all, I would try to find out why that pop-up is appearing. The fact the window is appearing means that something untoward is running in the background. Make sure your anti-virus program is up to date & run a full scan.

I would then download & run hijackthis (www.hijackthis.de) then go back to www.hijackthis.de & let it analyse the log file. 

[quote] and if they are safe, reputable and secure.[/quote]

PC-Pitstop seems legitimate, but that doesn't mean the link from the window goes to is the legitimate site/version.

I have been using PC Pitstop for a couple of years.  They seem legit and the site has some very useful information in it.  I have never had any interference, popups etc.from the site during that time so I think maybe you have picked up some malware.  I would take the advice to run the spyware scan before anything else.

Regards Dave

Hi,

I agree with Breton Networks and Nige, it seems that you PC is infected with spyware, and the site it is suggesting isn't necessary the genuine one.  You need to clean your PC with one of the FREE anti-spyware programmes.  Go to www.download.com select one of the free spyware removal programmes, download and run.

Best of luck