I have a Dell laptop. I've had several over the years and used them in my other life when I was "actif" in IT [:D]

Obviously, having had several, I think they're good. I bought the current one in UK so it has a UK keypad. I believe you can order on the French site and specify QWERTY and English OS (Windows) too.

I'm not sure but I think a fast touch typist might find the keys a bit close together? I'm of the two-fingered typist breed myself!

Sid

We have had one for a couple of years now and are very happy with it.  We had some problems with the French website so in the end, having sorted out what we wanted (extras etc including QWERTY) we ordered by phone from the UK. Service was good and fom phone call to delivery took less than a week. [:)]

Just my 2 centimes worth but I don't think Dell Laptops are a patch on what they once were.  Seem to be using some slightly cheap/flaky components, especially the hard drives.  I would go for an HP if I wanted a laptop, virtually indestructable.

Actually, I might be buying an Aseus solid state jobby soon.  4Gb memory, no discs, full on wi-fi,  7 inch screen, about 180 quid, comes with Open Office and it runs on Linux!  Perfect for me, bigger than a PDA and not as big as a laptop.  Probably no good for a proper typist though.

As I say, just my view of seeing a lot of these things during doing the Day Job.

[quote user="londoneye"]

Keyboard:    for a touch typist, yes the keys are very close together.   It is definitely not as easy to touch type, although after a while you do get used to it ....

[/quote]

Could always get an add-on full-size keyboard in wanted and just plug it in.  Ditto for mouse.

I've had my Dell for a few years now and, so far, have seen no reason to change it.

I, too, am a touch typist and pretty fast.  I had a problem to begin with as the keyboard lies flat and is not at an angle.  I suppose it is easy enough to prop the apparatus up to create an angle but, to be honest, you soon get used to it.

Querty is my preference but I use the French keyboard at my local Tourist Office and I soon got used to THAT as well.

It never ceases to amaze me the things one gets used to, given time!