Watch one channel, record another - possible without SKY?

At the moment we have a satellite system (no SKY subscription, just an FTV card) and can only record the programme we are watching with an externally connected VCR.  We would like to buy a digibox with an internal hard drive and twin tuners so that we can watch one programme while recording another- preferably with the facility of ‘picking up where we left off’ the programme we were watching, while the recording continues -  if the phone rings for instance.

Is anyone else using such a system? If so, details would be very welcome.  We do not wish to subscribe to SKY.

For 'twin LNBs'  read a twin LNB - these are quite easily available here in France - simply put, it's an LNB with two outputs to feed two boxes. What equipment you decide to use to watch/record is up to you. It's what I have here and gives me exactly the function you say you want to have - i.e. watch one channel whilst recording another.

Incidentally, I have mentioned on here before, a system called Freesat should be launched in the coming months and it's likely that more digi boxes will be coming on to the market, so the choice should be greater. At the end of it all though, you will need at least a twin LNB.

Regards - Tim 

P.S.I should mention that at the moment, if you go 'the non sky box route' you will not get Channel 4 and 5 and their offspring. With the launch of Freesat this may change.

Hi,

If you want to use your ‘Sky’ FTV card you are tied into using a Sky dodgybox.  This means to record, you either stump up the fee for the Sky+ facility (£10 p.m.?) or use, as Coopelola mentioned, an external DVD or videotape recorder.  Not very practical for timeshifting!

I have a dish with a standard 4 port (output) LNB, with two ports feeding a Topfield TF5010PVR Masterpiece satellite receiver.  This has twin tuners so I can record two channels whilst viewing a third (if it is on the same transponder as one of the recording channels) or watch a previously recorded programme.  The only downside is that I cannot access the Sky Electronic Programme Guide (EPG).  However, I look daily at the Radio Times site so know what is on.  On the receiver, I can set recording times on a standard Timer page or use the ‘Now and Next’ functions with the ‘Record’ function.  (Similar to the red button on a Sky remote.)  You can download automatic functions called ‘TAPS’ (Topfield applications) to automatically populate an EPG from the internet but frankly I couldn’t be bothered.  Please PM me if you want more details.

Cheers,

Brian  

I LOVE my 2 TiVo's [kiss][kiss][kiss]

Each is running from a standard sky box so I have the choice of watching or recording 2 channels at the same, with live pause, replay etc. PLUS I can simultaneously watch recorded programmes whilst recording new ones.

I can even programme them over the Internet and remotely download recordings.

Apart from dual tuners and HD I don't think there is anything a Sky plus box can do that a TiVo can't and as it runs on a version of Linux it is highly hackable.

Sad thing is you cannot buy them in UK anymore, except second hand that is, and depending on spec they can fetch upwards  of £300 on eBay.

TiVo Rocks [8-|]

Yes, I read that, and other 'techie' sites and am well aware of possible varying start dates. As far as I know, it was always intended that the service should start sometime in the Spring - and, from what I've read it still is - we'll see.

Regards - Tim

[quote user="Timco"]

Yes, I read that, and other 'techie' sites and am well aware of possible varying start dates. As far as I know, it was always intended that the service should start sometime in the Spring - and, from what I've read it still is - we'll see.

Regards - Tim

[/quote]

Techie?  That's not techie....  Here's techie : http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/cams-cards-and-programmers.html  [:D]

[quote user="Btuckey"][quote user="Timco"]

Regards - Tim

[/quote]

Techie?  That's not techie....  Here's techie : http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/cams-cards-and-programmers.html  [:D]

[/quote]

Yes, yes, I also know about that one - been there - done it!![geek]