Sky digi box ( continued)

Hi

Have just read the last thread and am wondering if there could be an easier solution to my sky box problem than Ernies switching off at ,the mains  ( which works !)

For the past month the display will show  ' no satellite signal being received ' several times a day on changing channels . The signal is strong but when you check the signal reception display bar it shows zero, not locked.. The solution I've hit on is to unwind the antenna connexion a turn or two and move the cable up or down slightly. Within 20 secs or so the signal bar reforms and problem solved ( for a few hours ). It seems particularly prone to display no signal when you tune to Sky News .I can only imagine that an electrical jolt is causing the signal to reappear when I fiddle with the antenna connexion . The novelty is now wearing off  though and I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before deciding whether  to replace the box .

Thanks

To pinpoint the source of the problem more clearly, can you either

a)  borrow another box and connect it to your dish ?

or

b) take your box over to someone else's dish ?

Either way, you would know if your problem resides with your box or your dish.

Clair's suggestion is a good one - if you are able to do so.

If I was in your position my suspicions would centre around the dish and it's connections. Inspect the 'F' connector - that's the plug that goes into the Sky box from the dish. These are notorious for coming loose. If it looks ok check to see if any trees have grown near the dish and it's path to the satellite. By the way, don't take too much notice of the signal/quality readings on a Skybox - they are reknowned for their inaccuracy. One of my boxes shows no signal at any time and another one I helped a friend with showed a full signal before I had even put up the dish.[8-)]

Regards - Tim

[quote user="mike.m"]

Hi

Have just read the last thread and am wondering if there could be an easier solution to my sky box problem than Ernies switching off at ,the mains  ( which works !)

For the past month the display will show  ' no satellite signal being received ' several times a day on changing channels . The signal is strong but when you check the signal reception display bar it shows zero, not locked.. The solution I've hit on is to unwind the antenna connexion a turn or two and move the cable up or down slightly. Within 20 secs or so the signal bar reforms and problem solved ( for a few hours ). It seems particularly prone to display no signal when you tune to Sky News .I can only imagine that an electrical jolt is causing the signal to reappear when I fiddle with the antenna connexion . The novelty is now wearing off  though and I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before deciding whether  to replace the box .

Thanks

[/quote]

I wonder if you have a panasonic digibox If so you have the same problem that I had and which I cured by buying a filter from  satcure

http://www.satcure.co.uk/panasonic.htm.

If not they have lots of usefull info on their website about common faults for digiboxes.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/digirep.htm#models