How to connect to my livebox without using the CD please?

Hello could some kind soul please help me with a connection problem?

I have recently reinstalled (due to a problem) windows XP to a computer that was previously connected to my Livebox via the ethernet cable. I want to reconnect it now and unfortunately the cd that came with the livebox is corrupted and won't install.

I have connected the ethernet cable from my livebox to my PC and when It go into network connections I see that he card is connected/enabled, but now I am at a loss as to what to do next to get it to connect to the internet?!

I do have a laptop running via the WiFi connection next to my PC so I can acces the internet and  my livebox configuration settings via 192.168.1.1.  I expect it should be a case of entering some numbers somewhere ? Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not too familar with that spawn of the Devil, the Livebox, but if it's working on WiFi with your Laptop then I cannot think of a logical reason why you cannot access it from the newly installed PC, it should just work and you should be able to get into it with 192.168.1.1 exactly as per your laptop.

Are you sure you've got all the drivers installed properly and your PC's ethernet port is working.

Check in the Device Manager for ! marks.

Hmmm. seems odd.

In Network Connections does it say 'Connected, Firewalled'. If so try turning the firewall off, don't worry, the world will not come to an abrupt and untimely end !

Also you might try a right click - Repair

Finally right click - Properties - select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then - Properties, does it say Obtain an IP Address Automatically ?

Thanks for the reply again; - Yes all those things are fine. I've tried disabling the firewall; It says it's connected; I've tried repair; I've disabled and enabled it; IP adress automatically is enabled too.

I tried the network cable directly to my laptop which is onWifi, and the laptop connected fine, so  asuume it is the network card on my PC?

I was also wondering if the old copy of windows xp that I have needs updating to make the card work, but obviously it's  difficult to know what update (if at all ) I need when I can't connect to the internet anyway. I've also tried to install a wifi dongle to the PC to try and get a Wifi connection but the software won't installe either I think because it needs a driver?

Help!!!!

Mutiara

have a look here page dedicated to setting up the livebox connection without the CD

For the wifi dongle, you will need to install the drivers for the USB dongle usually available from the manufacturers website

You said "I tried the network cable directly to my laptop which is onWifi, and the laptop connected fine, so  asuume it is the network card on my PC?"

I'm not sure I follow that as it is not clear whether the laptop is connecting by cable or wireless.

If the network card worked before reinstallation, it would seem unlikely to be faulty now. Have you tried getting the latest driver files for the network card from the maker's website and reinstalling the driver? That may help. Ask if you are not sure how to do this.

Do you still have the cd that came with the PC with driver files etc..? After reinstalling windows, you normally have to update drivers for various bits of hardware. Windows will install basic drivers on reinstallation. For my PC, I have to reinstall the drivers for the video card, network adapter, soundcard, and others things afterwards.

good luck

Danny