Daewoo Freeview switched off !

My Daewoo SV900 freeview box no longer works as the Freeview transmission has been tweeked  and according to Daewoo help desk it is a model that is now  no longer of any use in the UK.....If I take it over to France ..(.its also a video recorder ) what is the chance of it picking up the free view channels there ?

I think not - the UK started their terrestrial digital service with a speed of 2K - the French system uses 8K - the reason your box doesn't work now is probably because it's not able to deal with an 8K signal which is what the UK is changing over to.

Sorry for the bad news - Tim

Most of the current problems with UK Freeview boxes arise from the way the NIT table is now specified;   because there are more channels (even if some are time shared) than originally specified the boxes that did not conform properly to the DVB-T spec are now no longer able to cope with the new system.

My advice would be to try the boxes in France.   It's only the original OnDigital boxes that won't cope with 8k symbol system used in France.   The current problem in the UK is not related to that,  and given that there are only just over twenty TNT channels in France my guess is that your box should (or at any rate *may*) still work.

Incidentally,   provided you don't do a rescan a lot of the "suspect" boxes will carry on working in the UK,  it's just that new channels won't be available.   As soon as you do a rescan however you're sunk....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/index.shtml

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=853956

A very good point Martin - I'd forgotten about that even though I was reading about it just last week.[:$]

I put it down to age.

Tim

Edit - spot on Martin - it's quite an interesting machine - Freeview box with built in VCR - but here's a link that may mean that Frederick can save it from the landfill - even if only for a short time.  http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freeviewlandfill.html

I have a dual input, ie.e. record one channel while you watch another, receiver with hard drive for sale at 75€. I have checked that it does work with French channels despite being bought in the UK It is in 56 near Vannes but could be posted if you are interested.

Yup - OnDigital boxes (whilst slow) should still work in the UK.

The problem comes when Digital Switchover happens (ie when the analogue network is finally turned off) and the broadcasters in the Britain move from 2k to 8k symbols.   At that point I would guess your OnDigital box will stop dead in its tracks.

As it probably would if you brought it over to France where 8k was used from the start.

As you say,  £20 is not the end of the world,   but it's a shame that so little thought has been given to the question of box longevity;  OnDigital *could* have used 8k if they'd been prepared to wait three more months for launch (it was a shortage of available receiver chips which was the problem) and it would have made our lives very much easier as with 8k the broadcasters can use Single Frequency Networks (SFN's - I won't bore you with the details now) which might have made digital switchover a lot lot easier.