Free to Air

Hi

Being totally technologically inept i need a bit of help. I think this has been covered before but cannot find it in the "search" thingy.

We have a Amstrad  DV3 Skydigibox on which we receive Beeb 1,2,3,4 and similar ITV channels. The question is how do we get to receive Channels 4 & 5. If anyone knows the answer i would be grateful for an explanation that would help a 4 year old. There are no cards of any sort in the Skybox.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy days

Wilko

You need either a Freesat card from Sky or a freesat receiver to receive Channel 5. The Sky website now describes how to get one. Everybody hopes C5 will be going FTA in the near future but no dates or firm commitements have been made. For Channel 4 try the following :

Press the green services oval

4 System Set Up

4 Add Channels

10729 MHz,  Vertical,  22000 kbps,  FEC 5/6   Astra 2D

then scan

then mark them all to keep.

Channel 4 is currently 8311 ( 8350 gives a no signal message)

To get at the channels

Press the green services oval

6 Other Channels

Then select the one you want

Best of luck 

I'd scan and save 10714 MHz too,  with Horizontal polarisation  (22000   5/6 as above)

10714 MHz is likely to be the permanent home of C4 - at least that's what they think....

There does still seem to be a problem with cardless boxes not displaying C4 on channel 104,  and Anton's method gets round it via Other Channels.

M

Anton, you're a star, I followed your simple instructions and now have Channel 4 and E4.  Wonderful simple clear instructions.  Are there any more channels that you can find us ..... I have a Sky Freeview card but lost Channel 4 and 5 (where is Channel 5, by the way), so if there are any more tips you can give us please go ahead.

Oooh, just settling down to watch a re-run of last night's Big Brother final (yes, I am that sad!) ....

The only other things I ever found which were worthwhile adding were :

Radio Caroline (Now available as a normal radio channel)

BBC1 regional and BBC2 National variations ( now normal numbered channels)

ITV regional variations (Useful if you have a London registered card and want to watch other news regional channels but less and less use)

Lyngsat has the freequencies etc for those. (google Lyngsat then look for frequencies)

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

If your Sky free to view card for Channels 4 and 5 used to work but doesn't now, try leaving it in the box overnight ( with the box on standby but plugged in) I found this necessary after not using a particular box for a while. I know you don't need it for channel4 now, but you might as well try this anyway.

Anton - a quick correction, if I may - you say that Channel 5 is available on a freesat receiver - well it's not yet. As has been said, everyone seems to expect it to be going free to air later this year, but at the moment, it's only watchable via a Skybox with Freesat from Sky card or subscription - unless you are clever!!.

Regards - Tim