Connecting phone line to live box

And I thought I was doing so well.............my Livebox, 'died' yesterday morning..... how I wish i had bought a Surge Protector... So, off  I went to local Orange shop for a new Livebox. The very unhelpful assistant, gave it to me and in reply to my question, 'what do I do' replied, 'just plug it in'... This afternoon, I am very proud to announce that I successfull re-installed everything...it was not a case of 'just plug it in' ..... I was/am so pleased I was able to do this without asking help from friends or having to ask here.....but then...I noticed the telephone light is not lit up so i cant use the computer phone, try as I can, I cant seem to see how to re-activate it.... so, dispite my happiness of being back on line I cant use the phone....does anyone out there know what I need to do....

Thanks.

When you install a new livebox and telephone, it takes up to five days for the telephone to be activated (in the case of the two Liveboxes we have installed it has actually been two days and a few hours). I don't know if this applies to a replacement Livebox, but it is possible.

The user name & password is 'admin' & 'admin' both lower case and if you phone your local BT shop they can re-establish your phone PDQ for you. Ours was done in a day.

Your situation is why we opted to keep our landline because if anything happens to the Livebox or you have a power cut then you will still have a phone to use...

!So, off  I went to local Orange shop for a new Livebox. The very unhelpful assistant, gave it to me "

Just think yourself lucky, most shops will not exchange a livebox just like that and tell you to ring 3190.  The normal procedure is to ring up the Orange helpline and get a change reference number after they are satisfied that it is the Livebox that is at fault, after that call, its quick and easy when you get the change authorisation number as the Orange or FT shop already has the details and will just change it over.  You have to install the new one as if it was new, including the association and new security key if its a wi-fi installation.

The tried and trusted method with a Livebox that is playing up is reset or just unplug it for a few minutes.  Of course if your livebox was fried its possible that your phone or phoneline is also is damaged and you normally have to replace the phone filters if  a storm caused the problem in the first place. Replacement filters should be supplied with the new Livebox, there are usually two.

My original Livebox was bought, not rented, that is why I was able to change it so easily. I have changed the phone filters - Since my first posting and thru the suggestions made by Sue, I finally found (after hours of going round in circles..) the page about the phones and read, it takes 48 hours for phone line to connect. That will be at 4pm this afternoon, I am sure you will all here the cheer when it happens. I do still have my FT line...... It is all learning..... Thanks again for you help and comments.

We are very lucky here Ron because all we have to do is to take the box in to FT Carcassonne, they unplug their Livebox, plug yours in and check it there and then.

Mind you the lady behind the service desk can be a little miffed if you have an intermittent problem as we had and then she will refuse to change it. We went and saw the superviser, who speaks good English, told him the problem and he changed it no problems..

It wouldn't be possible to put the filters in the Livebox Ron, because they have to be in line before the house phone or any other phone equipment to take the digital signal out before the phone. That would mean that the phone would have to be through the box and you would not be able to have a normal landline as we have.

Don't forget that when you do instal a new box that you don't need to install the orange programme. It is a load of pony & trap and totally un-necessary. Just set up the account and line manually and follow the wizard. It's been a whils since I did it, but I'm sure that there is someone who can talk you through it if needed...

Edit :- I have just re read your last posting Harvey. Our box is rented, the idea was that when new kit comes out we will be able to change it to the new stuff. If it's bought then you would have to buy the new and the new 'Mini Livebox' is now out and we should be changing to it early next year. It is supposed to be a lot more stable and has more features.

I'm just waiting for 'Liveprinter' to become available here in France. The U.K. have had it for well over a year now! It means that you connect your printer to the USB connecter on the Livebox and configer any of the PCs/laptops on the Livebox to use it as a local printer. Basics are that you don't need the main PC with the printer attached to be switched on to use the printer. But I suppose that this is France after all?

I have just found what looks like a mine of info on the livebox and most other things by the looks of it http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=22

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

It wouldn't be possible to put the filters in the Livebox Ron, because they have to be in line before the house phone or any other phone equipment to take the digital signal out before the phone. [/quote]

I have edited my post as I meant the phone filters that are to plug into other phone sockets are supplied with the Livebox ie are in the same carton as the Livebox, not in the Livebox itself[blink]