software problem.

Hi folks-looking for advice if possible.My Brother all singing/dancing fax,printer scanner,has stopped working on the scanning part.always shows "not connected" after a diagnostic check.Tried reinstalling the software and also carrying out the Brother repair procedure.This seems to indicate a software fault,possibly onthe Broadcom 440x10/100 integrated controller-whatever that is!!!!!Done a system check-all indicates o.k.Dell tech services after transferring me desk to desk,finally transferred me to another Asian software company who inform me that it can be repaired over the internet for £40!Has anyone any other suggestions?Thanks Maude

Hi Maude,

The Broadcom 440x10/100 integrated controller is the network card controller.  It is unusual for there to be a problem with only one function of the network printer/scanner.  Normally if there is a fault with the controller you can't connect at all.  You indicate that your computer is a Dell, try searching the Dell UK website for an updated driver for the controller which may solve the problem.  It costs a fortune using the telephone helpline.

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~ck=mn

I can't check the website on your behalf as I don't know the make and model of your computer.

Best of luck

• 2 weeks later...
thanks Tel for the reply.Done a complete Dell diagnostic search-shows no problems.However to continue searching for further investigations,i cannot find Device Manager -it just shows a completely blank white page with the heading of Device Manager!!!How do I find this?any help greatly apreciated.Maude-   frustrated,pixxxd off,broke,too old,fed up,run out of wine!!!!!!

Alternative cure if the above fails to fix the problem. I'm assuming Windows XP, no idea if this also applies to Vista.

BE CAREFUL !

You must be logged on as a local administrator to perform this task.

1. Go to "Start", "Run", and enter "regedt32"

2. Maximize the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" window.

3. Scroll down to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum"

4. With "Enum" selected click the "Security", "Permissions" menu.

Note: At this point you will probably notice there are no permissions on this key.

5. Click "Add".

6. Add the group "Everyone" and the user "SYSTEM".

7. Select "Everyone" and check "Read" ONLY!

8. Select "SYSTEM" and check "Full Control".

9. Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window.

10. On the Advanced window check "Reset permissions on all child objects..."

11. Click "OK"

12. On the warning window click "Yes"

13. Close REGEDT32

You should now be able to see everything in Device Manager, Network Places Properties, and Printers."