Starting soon BBC4 (116)

DOCUMENTARY: Les Paul: Chasing Sound

On: BBC 4 (116)   

Date: Friday 9th January 2009 (starting in 4 minutes)

Time: 22:30 to 23:55 (1 hour and 25 minutes long)

Documentary profiling the legendary Les Paul, creator of the solid-body electric guitar, inventor of overdubbing and multi-track recording, king of the 50s pop charts and rock 'n' roll icon. Paul tells his own classic rags-to-riches story, featuring vintage archive and original performance footage of him and his Trio, original interviews with the likes of BB King, Jeff Beck, Jose Feliciano, Tony Bennett and Bonnie Raitt and many contributions from the 93-year-old genius from Waukesha, Wisconsin.

(Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, it was the same programme that was shown before, which was made to celebrate his 90th birthday. But it was well worth watching, even if only to show what a good jazz musician the man was as well as the way that he originated so many of the techniques that the recording industry has depended on ever since.

His first overdubbing experiments were carried out using a home-made machine that cut 78rpm discs, so each take had to be perfect (and he, playing all the accompaniments, and Mary Ford, doing a four-part vocal, got the harmonies and timings spot-on, resulting in recordings that sound amazing even now). According to the programme this technique was revolutionised when he got the second decent reel-to-reel tape recorder in the USA. This was a present from Bing Crosby, with whom he had worked - Bing had the first one himself. That made it possible for Les and Mary to make recordings anywhere, including in their bathroom (making use of the acoustics) and in hotels rooms and even in the car when on tour.

A very clever man, who is still playing great stuff in public just for enjoyment every week, despite arthritis in his left hand which gives limited movement in all but two fingers - just as the same as his hero Django Reinhardt.

As a result of the programme last night I visited the local Mediatheque to see if they had anything by Les Paul and Mary Ford (they didn't) but as Will has already mentioned Django Reinhardt I thought I would mention the CD below that I found.  I can't say how he compares, but he plays in a very similar style, well worth looking for if you like Django.

Tchavolo Schmitt

'Lautcha'

Le Chant du Monde, #274 1330