Pop ups - help!

Hi.  For a few weeks I have been having a problem with pops-ups appearing when I'm online.  They are huge, brightly coloured full screen ads which come up in their own window.  They are in French and advertise anything from Lotto to cheap travel.  I've run Ccleaner and my anti-virus but they keep coming up, sometimes as many as three or four windows.  Any suggestions? Many thanks.

I run both Firefox and Internet Explorer and have never had this problem either.

My father-in-law in the UK has had this issue though.

I suggested he download SuperAntiSpyware free - update it every week and it's sorted the problem.

Tim

This problem is usually caused by a 'Trojan' that needs a specific programme to remove it.

You will find one here http://www.commentcamarche.net/telecharger/telecharger-34055042-trojan-remover.

Just do a google search for Trojan you will find many others.

Frank

[quote user="Jay"]Try a pop up blocker such as THIS

I use Firefox and never have problems with them, if you use Internet Explorer it may be time to change. Have you got all the Microsoft updates?
[/quote]

I have seen this problem with Firefox and Opera.  The problem is most likely a Trojan and nothing to do with Internet Explorer.

I also had this problem and am using Mozilla Firefox, in the end my PC completely died with hard drive failure and had to be returned to the UK for repair (it was only 3 months old, so still under guarantee.

Mozilla upgraded to try and resolve this problem last year, and so far, so good.  However, a good Anti-Virus and Firewall are essential.  I have been using AVG for quite a while now and am very pleased with it.  AVG do a free version, but I decided to pay for a full license (which although didn't come cheap), I would rather have spent that money for peace of mind than risk another massive failure on my PC.  I know that there are many new virus' appearing every day and nothing is safe, but if you pay for the full version, you have more available to fix the nasties like Trojans.

Well, the SuperAntiSpyware free programme I suggested earlier stops all my unwanted ads and sorts out the trojans - running on three machines- no problems.

I'm using it with AVG free and have done for many years now.

Regards - Tim