ISP torrent usage limit

Re using sites like UKNova for TV/Radio torrents . I gather that all ISP's have a usage limit of so many gigabytes/bits per month and that this may include uploads as well as downloads and that if  you go over the limit there may be some sort of penalty. Does anyone know what that limit is for AOL in France or where to find it or had a penalty applied?.................JR

I think you'll find each ISP will probably have their own policy although in these days of mega bandwidths and bundled TV it's hard to see how they can effectively offer that and cap usage.

Considering that you generally pay exactly the same per month irrespective of whether you have a 1mB or 24mB connection surely it has to apply across the board.

My comisserations for being with AOL BTW, chin up though, one day you'll be better [Www]

Hi John,

AOL UK seem to have a weird 'Fair Use Policy' they don't publish their limits, however they will restrict your usage if you exceed 10gb per month, which is quite low by todays standards.  If you continue to exceed this figure they will cancel your service.

France AOL is now owned by TELCO (Neuf Cegetel) and finding the Terms & Conditions relating to their F.U.P. is nigh impossible.

I agree with ErnieY's comments re-AOL.

Regards

Ok and thanks to both. 10GB is not much, done about 2.3GB on UKNova alone in the last two days. Don't know how much on downloads with normal computer use on the web, impossible to say I guess. So will have to watch it then and limit uploads/downloads as necessary to keep well below that figure. During downloads the computer really goes mega slow when trying to use the internet at the same time and downloads seem to take about 2 hours for a 1 hour long programme to complete a download. Data rate on downloads is usually below 50k, not that fast, and uploads even slower. I have a score of 60 at UKNova just now so I might disable uploads soon though I don't know how long UKNova will keep the account open if I am passive. It is a useful facility for progs missed or clashing with something else. I suppose a second Sky box is another possibility.

A lot of folk have been critical of AOL but I am not sure why. I am in no position to compare with other ISPs as I have only used AOL both here and in the UK so I don't know if the performance is good or otherwise. What yardsticks should I use to rate them? I have never had cause to complain about them and they were quick in replacing my AOL box last year when the lightning took it out at no cost to me so it would be interesting to know why some folk are not happy with them!..............................................JR

Ok thanks I will have a look at it.................................JR

PS And having looked at it now have it installed on my second machine and it works. Interesting to note that thebox.bz does not allow you access if you use AOL browser so I used IE instead.

PPS tel thanks for the pm and have replied.