which uses least energy?

There's probably no easy answer to this ... but I was wondering which way of listening to the radio would use least energy ... either via my tv, or via my PC with the screen switched off.

Anybody in the know?  Or is to all down to technical spec of the TV/PC waffle which I am utterly ignorant of?  [:$]

Too simple a question to answer without knowing the specifications of the devices.

If by TV you mean TV via a satellite receiver then it can make a huge difference what type of TV it is, plus of course you have to add the power consumed by the satellite receiver. Even with a modern medium sized LCD TV (not Plasma) the combination could easily be consuming say 100W, a PC with monitor off might come in at something slightly less and a laptop considerably less than that.

Frankly, unless you have some horribly old and inefficient equipment, on either side, the difference is likely to be of little or no consequence.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Frankly, unless you have some horribly old and inefficient equipment, on either side, the difference is likely to be of little or no consequence.

[/quote]

Only my husband!  

Thanks for the info ... I suspected there probably wouldn't be much in it.

If you can route the audio output of the sat receiver (if such it is) to an amplifier and speakers you're likely to cut the power considerably compared to computer or TV,  as well as saving wear and tear on the bits of the computer that are still powered (eg hard drive).

Unless it's an audiophile amp it's likely to be using no more than 25 - 30 W.   Sat receiver another 25 W.

Something like a little music centre with AUX inputs,  and then jsut a phono to phono lead,   or possibly phono to 3.5 mm stereo jack.    You can easily learn the channel numbers of your favourite radio stations so that you don't have to turn on the TV to get the right programme.

At least that's what I do.....

We have a multi function gadget (Instrument de mesure de L'energie) that measures amps, watts, mains voltage etc of anything plugged into it. We bought it at Lidl though they are not available all the time.

It can be programmed to calculate the cost of electricity used in kwh of dual tariff electricity (heures pleine and creuse).  Not sure how accurate it is but it can be used for comparative testing in the kind of circumstances described here. Google "wattmeter" - no doubt these are available at Maplins or similar outlets.

Peter