TV - Channels 4 & 5?

Eventually purchased a TV late last year for use with Sky box / card and whilst we can receive normal 'free' channels, neither 4 and 5 are available (nor 4+1 etc). We have used the card in a friend's Sky box with the same result, although they receive all 'free' channels. 

Do we need to acquire another card or is there another solution? Apologies if query has been raised / answered before.

Dessiedog

Where did it come from, is it a £20 Freesat from Sky card and if so has it been activated ?

Remember, even if activated if a card isn't used for a while it goes to sleep and it can take up to 24 hours to wake up after putting it into a box.

You don't actually need a card for either ch 4 or 5.  Both are free to air.   However,  your box may not have twigged that scenario for ch 4,   abd without a card will need a bit of coaxing as described below,  especially for ch 5.   There are (in other words) other ways of getting the channels that don't involve "104" and "105" in the EPG.

Ultimately the two channels can be found for you,  so:

If your card doesn't wake up eventually,   you can use the "add channels" facility to store the two programmes in your "other channels" list.

The way to do this has been described many times on this forum.

If your card doesn't wake up and you are unable to get through the "add channels" procedure,  then I'm sure one of us will go through it again.   It really should be a "sticky".

With thanks to Anton for the bare bones of the paste that follows

Press Services -> choose option 4 Set Up ->  choose option 4 Add Channels

Insert the following

10714 H 22000 5/6   (MHz,  Pol,  S/R  kbps,  FEC respectively)

Activate the scan (haven't got a sky box in front of me but it's the bottom option I think)

When a list comes up,   choose one of the C4 regions with the cursor and tick it using the yellow button.

Save the changes.

Now start all over again,  ie

Now repeat on 10773 H 22000 5/6 and save "FIVE"  (or 6335 if there is no sign of Five)

Now repeat on 10729 V 22000 5/6 and save a 4+1 regional option.

You can then access the desired channels you've saved via:

Services -> option 6 Other Channels - then choose the one you want.

This should get you the channels you're missing,   if you leave the card in for a few days you may find that the box sorts itself out and puts then back on 104 and 105,  but if not you've still got them via the backdoor method.

Please post again if this is not clear.

Many thanks for prompt responses.

The house is currently a 'maison secondaire' - pending UK house sale! - and query re TV arose when we visited for a week last month. Consequently cannot advise info re Sky box etc until after next visit - both box and card were purchased from a friend of our son. Have to admit that I wasn't aware a card can fall asleep if not used and I suspect it hadn't been used for some time before we bought it. We intend going again for a few weeks later this month and will certainly follow your advice, DIY jobs permitting!

Once again thanks for assistance.

Dessie Dog